Do schools facilities in US contain asbestos paint?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Dr. Donna - you're right - I totally overlooked the paint part (sorry, it's late here and I just read the asbestos...)

OP - I think you are combining lead paint and asbestos, but for either of them, you can contact your school district office and see if there are any of these things in your particular school, and if so, what they have done to contain the item(s).

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:53 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I've never heard of asbestos being used in paint. I know it's often used in insulation and some schools with older insulation might have some, but if it's not disturbed and kicked up into the atmosphere, it poses no health hazard. For paint, I was pretty sure the health issue was lead. Again, in older schools, there could still be some lead-based paint, but if it's not chipping (and the kids aren't ingesting it), it won't harm children. Lead paint is a real problem in older homes where paint dust lands on the floor and crawling children get it on their hands and then injest the dust. That doens't happen frequently in school-aged children.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:34 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Some do, but the ones that have it sealed where it's not exposed / getting out into the air. It's when it's exposed / able to get airborne is when it's a problem.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:01 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Oh, and most places that have this will do a disclosure statement of some sort, explaining this to you, or have it available at the school district offices. If you're concerned, you can contact your local school district and ask them about it and they can give you information on it - if they have any in their schools, that is.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:02 AM on Jun. 1, 2011