Im worried about my choc. Lab puppy around my newborn baby. Are they usually good with children?!

I have a 16 week old choc lab puppy. He is very sweet but since the day we brought him home at 6 weeks he has been # 1 in our lives. He would never intentionally hurt someone but if someone he doesn't know comes around && he thinks they are a threat he starts growling and barking as a warning and if they don't leave he does try to attack. He is also teething so if you pet him he nibbles on your hands and stuff. Im worried he might see DD as a threat when she comes home. I don't want to have to get rid of him bc I love him to death && would be a very good guard dog since me and DD will be alone while DH is at work. Is there anything anyone knows of that could help with getting him used to her? He is really good with children that he knows.

CourtneyAnn8690

Asked by CourtneyAnn8690 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Pets

• I have always heard that they are really great with kids and babies, infact me and my husband want to get my daughter one in the near future.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My sister has a choc. lab and he was always great with the little ones, you will still have to show him a lot of attention, that can't just stop because you are bringing baby home. He will most likely grow to be protective of your little one.
    Anonymous

• I have a six year old lab, and he's always been fabulous around kids. He's very protective of any little kids that come around. The only issue we've ever had was him being almost TOO eager, like he really loves licking kids in the face because they're short like him, lmao. As long as you show your puppy the boundaries and show him a TON of attention (labs need lots of love and affection yanno), he'll be just fine. Your baby and him will probably be best friends =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I have a 4-year-old black lab, 110 pounds, and he is great with our 3 1/2 month old baby. Before we brought the baby home from the hospital my husband brought a blanket and some clothes that our baby had worn to have the dog smell them each day. They do get excited but as long as you just watch the dog they usually just want to give lots of kisses! Congratulations!
    Anonymous

• Thank you! When I found out I was preg I got him bc everyone told me that they are very protective of children and will keep a close eye on them. I had a friend tell me that his lab would pace in front of the road adn if they got too close he would bark like crazy && bump him and make him fall down back into the grass until she came out there.&& its funny bc I was checking the mail the other day && my DH was coming down the road && my lab jumped up on his back legs && pushed me until I got out of the road. So I know he is very good with us I was just wondering if anyone could help me with my baby. Thank you for all of your answers they were all very helpful!! :) If there are any other ideas feel free to post or even email me.
    CourtneyAnn8690

Answer by CourtneyAnn8690 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Just be very careful with them together until your baby is older because he's just going to be a big guy who won't know his own strength. My mom's lab is a hazard with small children not because he's mean but because he's huge and too friendly, always knocking them over.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Any animal specialist will tell you that you should keep any puppy away from babies. Allow the puppy to smell the baby when you are holding the baby and someone else is there to moniter the puppy. Puppies will bite and jump on anything. They don't understand any better than a baby does. You need to watch them carefully.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Labs are great dogs!! I believe any breed has the potential to get great with kids. Just train it and discipline it.
    NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 4:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• How far along are you? Labs usually make great family dogs but can be very hyper the first couple of years. I would try and get him out to socialize especially around other kids and maybe put him in a puppy class to help with obediance it is best to get him listening now before the baby comes. The one thing we did that helped alot before we brought home our son was my husband brought one of the blankets he was wrapped in in the hospital home and let him smell it and put it on his bed to help him get used to the baby before he came. That way when you introduce him he will be less likely to smell him as hard or long.
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 4:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Just remember to never leave them alone together for a second! I think it was in Texas this year that a 3 or 4 month old Lab puppy killed an 8 week old baby. The mother and Grandmother were in the house and never heard a thing. The baby was in a swing.

It was on the news.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2008