Is it normal for my 10 month old to throw tantrums?

I thought it started when they were closer to two but, my ten month old screams bloody murder when he doesn't get what he wants! If it's this bad now I am really going to be in trouble when he hits his "terrible two's"!

jacy3031

Asked by jacy3031 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is just barely truning 2 next month and I cant imagine that her tantrums can get any worse..LOL. She started having tantrums at like 9 months or so.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My daughter will be one Dec. 22. She doesn't throw too bad of tantrums, but I have seen a couplethat a two year old could throw! She's a drama queen... she will let back on the floor and yell at me =) Oh, it's perfectly normal! lol.
    AshlynsMommy1

Answer by AshlynsMommy1 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I would be worried if your LO didn't throw tantrums. lol. My little girl started at about the same age, made me worry about when she got older.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 2:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Yep! He's frustrated and angry and doesn't understand and doesn't know how to tell you...so he has a fit.

When Roo does it we totally ignore her. We walk away if its safe to do so (obviously not in a store) and if not we turn our head (keeping an eye on her, but it shows her that we're ignorning her). Then when she stops we have a quick chat about what she did/wants/whatever. Hug, kiss and move along with our day.

She only has fits now when she's REALLY tired and has reached her limit.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Mine is 17 months and never thrown one (at least not a full out one) and maybe only a couple small ones and normally during teething so maybe that's the culprit. She started getting teeth around that age too. Hopefully this helps.
    unwieldingdream

Answer by unwieldingdream at 3:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• it is a lil early but it its normal.just stay calm and show him that you will stand your ground and eventually it will get less and less.........good liuck!
    lisan279

Answer by lisan279 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I always wondered that some thing. My son will be 10 months old next week, but has been throwing tantrums since he was 7 months old. We just try to figure out the best ways to deescalate the fits and tantrums. Sometimes we use distraction techniques or try to soothe him to the best of our abilities.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 3:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• It can start anytime. Somewhere between the first birthday and the second one is "normal" so your little guy is ahead of the curve but not by much. Some kids don't pitch fits until 3 - their moms think they have obiedient little angles until then.

Some important things to remember:
    He has every right to be upset when he doesn't get his way.
    He does not know how to handle the emotions that come with that upset feeling - so he throws a fit.
    If you give in, you teach him that throwing fits works.
    Try distracting him but tell him what you are doing - "No, you can not play with the scissors. You can play with this shiny piece of ribbon instead."
    When all else fails, let him pitch his fit. The more you try to calm him down and offer item after item to distract him, the more upset he feels. Why? Because he senses that no one is in control. Not him, not you. If he won't take your first distraction offer, let him cry.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:49 PM on Dec. 9, 2008