I spend about $700 a month on groceries, but can't seem to keep food in the house.......

There is me, hubby, my 2yr old son and my 6 month old daughter. My hubby gives me a set amount each month for groceries($500 but we usually going over and spending $700). I don't know what to do anymore. My hubby eats everything up. I don't buy junk food or the expensive meats. I buy what I need every now and then may splurge and by shrimps or steaks but very rarely. I buy in bulk and then go home and separate. For instance I buy the big bags of drumettes from Sam's. I usually get a Ziploc bag and but 16 pieces in. This is suppose to be for dinner, hubby lunch, and for me and son lunch. My son may eat 1-2 for dinner, I will have 2, hubby eats the rest. He leaves nothing for his lunch. The other day we ate sandwiches. I woke up the next morning and saw that 2 packs of lunch meat was eaten and a half gallon of juice was drank. This man is constantly eating!!! Last night we had sloppy joes. He finished that off and ate a whole pack of lunch meat. You would think he would be big as a bear. He still the same size when I met him. Do anyone else hubby eats like this? Any tips for me to keep food in the house?

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 9:01 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• My husbands the same way and I had to tell him he was a pig and selfish. I told him the food we have is for everyone and by eating everything in the house he was taking food from the kids and me too and putting himself above everyone else. He didnt like it, but after he cooled off he understood I was right.
    Now I coupon ALOT. I use couponmom.com and southern saver and they do different scenerios so I can get certain things free or for almost cheap. Those free/almost free things allow me to buy meats with what I saved. I also buy hamburger in bulk and fry it at once, then put it in ziploc freezer bags cooked. That way if he wants anything he has to put effort into it. I also premake meals, again he has to put effort into it.
    I allow sandwich meat, bread, hot dogs, fries, apples, oranges, granola etc for them to be able to grab and go. It does help.

Answer by gemgem at 9:15 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I think maybe you need to start making larger meals, as in extra sides your husband likes and more filling meats. Sandwich meat and chicken wings don't really fill up a man, which is why he is eating so much. Instead of making chicken wings, try getting full sized legs, or better yet, go for the thighs, which are inexpensive and have a lot more meat on them. If you have sandwiches for dinner, try making soup and sandwiches so you sandwich meat goes farther, maybe have a salad too. If you plan to use something for lunch for the next day, pull out what you need before serving, but really, a man needs more than 4 chicken wing drummettes for dinner or lunch (if you had 2 each for you and your son for dinner and lunch, that would leave 8 for your husband to have between dinner and lunch the next day).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:16 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Mine does but thankfully he works on the road. When he is home the grocery bill skyrockets. Over time he has gained a lot of weight. 25 years ago he weighed 174 pounds. He now weighs over 300. He texted me yesterday that he has cellulitis and wished he knew where he got it from. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he is overweight. He needs to get control of his eating because he is otherwise going to end up morbidly obese with health issues or just health issues later on. I think the food is a substitute for things they are missing in their lives.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I also I just wanted to add that I agree with Kimigogo. It's NOT unreasonable for a man to eat 8-10 (or even 12) drumlettes for one meal. When I make something like that everyone here will eat 4-6 a piece. Sometimes my husband will eat upwards to 10-12, it just depends on what I have for sides that night.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:16 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• in my opinion he eats too much. my husband is 6'3 and weighs about 200 lbs and doesn't eat nearly that much. he could never eat 8-10 drumettes, or 5 chicken breasts in one sitting. but you said his mom didn't cook, so it might be an emotional thing for him.

as far as spending.. we're a family of 5 and spend at most $385 a month (only counting food, not household paper products or diapers) we never run out either. i make a weekly menu and do my shopping off that, and i save sometimes up to $100/week by doing this.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:37 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• YEP! Mine is a marathon runner and triathelete and has to eat like that or he loses weight. You would think he would weigh 400lbs with the food he eats, but he is an extremely muscle bound 175. Maybe spend less on sides and focus on what you know he will eat...MEAT. Make the most of meat sales (the butcher is your friend...I know even at the grocery store they will cut down giant hams into steaks and shaved meat, so when it is $1.19 a lbs, I go nuts), consider buying half a beef or a pork if you can store it. Mix meats in with things like stews and casseroles to make it go farther. If all else fails, tell him he either has to quit eating like that or give you more money. Mine is actually the opposite, I can get by on much less than he thinks I should need for groceries, and will say things like "but I can drink $200 of stuff a month!"...yeah babe...I KNOW!! Lol!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:44 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Maybe start really couponing so that that you can buy more with your money. I can cut my bill in half if not more with coupons. If you did that then you could keep your food budget if you want and buy more food.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:04 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• What side dishes are you serving? Are you serving any? Sounds like he is just not getting full.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I cooked beans, veggies, rice and he refuse to eat them. I'm always throwing it out after a couple of days. He just want meat
    babygirl0782

Comment by babygirl0782 (original poster) at 9:08 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I don't think that 8-10 chicken drumettes is too much for a man to eat,, I would perhaps make things like roast beff, ham, turkey that you can then use the leftovers for sandwiches, and other stuff, if sounds like alot of money to me, unless your counting, cleaning items, diapers, and personal products, then it is about average.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:10 AM on Jun. 1, 2011