Is this a little crazy?

Yesterday on NPR a guy said that in China "summer" doesn't have a specific starting date...The government declares when it is summer based on a certain number of hot days in a row.

Sounds like no big deal excpet a number of things are dpepndent on whether or not it is actually summer, like the ability to use air conditioning.

Ex. Say it takes 5 90 degree days in a row for summer to be declared. You have 4 90 degree days in a row but on the 5th day it's only 80 degrees. Too bad for you...the count starts all over.

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 9:03 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• All I can say is it is China.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• That's what happens when you have a government that controls the people. It's coming here too. We want the government to help us with everything and we are screaming about the environment. What better way than to unplug the air conditioner for all of America until it is "hot" enough. And depending on where they declare that 90 degrees starts summer, those of us who live in warmer climates would never be able to turn the air on.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Whatever happened to the Summer Soltice? Doesn't China have one of those? I guess if they can control the number of children their citizens have & when they have them, then they can control the weather & seasons too!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:13 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Sort of what I would expect from a communist country.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I suppose this makes it easier for them to control air conditioning. I once lived in an apartment that had to have so many hot days before the turned the air on...4 triple digit days in a row...didn't know that one before I moved in! This is one reason I'm not a fan of the smart meters. I'll be glad when we get settled in WY with our own wind turbine.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:29 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My dh has spent time in China for work and they will shut the A/C off intermittently even in the businesses and hotels. It may never come to that here but you know Obama says we can't just keep our A/C on at 71 degrees......... I'm thinking he would like China.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Given how much the climate varies in the US, I agree with pp ... which one would determine when 'summer' began? The same goes for 'winter'.

Like YSK, I'm glad that generating my own electric is an option. I'll be relieved to get completely off the grid.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:13 AM on Jun. 1, 2011