Group B Strep??

With my first pregnancy I was positive for Group B Strep and when I went to the hospital I had to have antibiotics and they also gave me an enema. With my second child I was negative for it but I had him at a different hospital with a different doctor and I didn't have to have an enema. Now with my third I moved back to the first doctor and he didn't even want to test because I was positive with my first. Does this mean I will have to have another enema :( ????

aheuszel

Asked by aheuszel at 9:18 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I don't know why they gave you an enema. It might be hospital policy or it could have something to do with your strep status. It's definitely worth asking the doctor about it.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:24 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• i would ask the doctor. i have no idea. i was positive with my pregnancy but i didn;t get an enema so i have so i have no idea.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:24 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• No, you do NOT have to have an enema no matter what doctor you see. I would still get the test, because you should have the antibiotics during labor...but no enema. I don't even think they're related to the group b strep
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:33 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• The enema is not related to group b strep.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:58 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• You don't have to test for GBS.
    If you do and are positive you may choose to:
    do nothing
    treat yourself prenatally only
    do the hospital protocol

You might like to learn more about the treatments, especially the antibiotics. Many women prefer to avoid this.

And no enema!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:51 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Enemas have nothing to do with GBS. Enemas are to clean your bowels out before having the baby. GBS is in the vagina. Totally unrelated.
    Anonymous

• Refuse the enema. It has nothing to do with the Strep B.

You are a paying customer who has a say in her health care, and you DO have the right to know why something is being done to you!

It's odd that your Doctor doesn't even want to test you. Sounds like she is assuming that you will be positive again and she'll just hook you up to antibiotics again. I would demand to be re-tested, as Strep B comes and goes in women. Just because you were positive with a prio pregnancy doesn't mean you'll be positive with this one.

So refuse the enema and ask for a proper Strep B test BEFORE they just hook you up to the IV.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2011