Has anyone tried "Extreme Couponing"?

I just saw this show for the first time and DH, my mom, and I have decided to band together and at least try it for a few months. Ha. Has anyone else tried it? How did it go?

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 9:39 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• I don't do it on that extreme. I don't have access to all the stores that give double coupons so it makes it difficult to go "extreme" I did take a mini-vacation and the last day spent it in the stores that I could do double couponing in. I spent less than $100 and came home with $500 worth of food.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:41 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• First! You have to know that there are actual rules in the stores, and the show gets the stores to bend the rules. For example there is actually a limit on the number of LIKE coupons a person can use in one shopping trip. I've seen these couponers give interviews after the show and they admit they "broke" the normal coupons rules for the show. Yes, they really do get the stuff for free in REAL life, but they often to several trips over the course of several days. So each INDIVIDUAL trip is MUCH smaller!

You have to shop based on SALE prices. Match coupons with sales. I've gotten free food and cleaning supplies this way. The best I can do is take my trips and cut them 1/2. So I can get 50% savings with even getting some things like salads, toothpaste for free and laundry soap for less then $1 a bottle.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• You have to contact the store and ask them what their coupon policies are. Or look it up on their website. I have two stores here that will double coupons if they are 55 cents or less, but they will only take 3 of the SAME coupon per transaction. Unless it's a coupon that I have printed at home. If it's coupon I have printed then they will only take 2 of the SAME coupon per transaction.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• We dont have any stores here that double coupons. Our stores when they send out their weekly ads have no coupons. Sunday paper barely has any usually I cant get enough coupons to cover the $1.50 it took me to buy the paper. Sales while sometimes are decent usually arent around here. So sadly I am simply unable to do this or if I were it would take me a lot more effor then those on that show to find the coupons bc they simply arent available or given out around here. Also coupons are only for name brand stuff even with using a coupon on something like that the store brand is still cheaper =(

Good luck I hope you save a lot of money though!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 10:06 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Also keep in mind that many stores and changing their coupon policy BECAUSE of this show. In fact you'll now notice many coupons themselves say something on them in red to the effect of "Only 3 like coupons can be used at one time"

Several of those featured on extreme couponing have been shown to be using coupons not even for the item they are buying and for the shows purposes the stores have allowed them to be used.....for example they will use a coupon for prepackaged deli ham for bacon instead. Or they are using coupons where it says "$0.50 off two" yet they are using them for EACH one bought, not for each two!

And well, most things these coupons are for are processed junk we as a people shouldn't be eating anyway!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• How does one find out who double and triple coupons and when they do it?
    BriHan06

Comment by BriHan06 (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• SAHM I knew it!!! There was just no way that that works the way it shows. Just reading the coupon it tells you how many of like coupons you can use. I coulld not imagine that the manufacturers would make any money if they worked for everyone.
    BriHan06

Comment by BriHan06 (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I cant even get regular couponing cuz I keep missing the sunday paper.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 10:06 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Oh & off of what SAHMin said if you watch the show & pay attention you'll notice that most everyone says "this is my biggest haul ever I'm nervous" so that right there confirms the fact that the stores do indeed allow these people to bend the rules. There was however, one show where these people had to call up ten of their friends to complete a transaction bc it was one per person or something. I also havent seen all the episodes either so there may have been more times like that too.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• BriHan06- It can be done, it just can't be done in ONE shopping trip like the show makes it out to be. These people NORMALLY do several small trips within the same week, etc.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 1, 2011