WHEN?

when should i start my son on cereal and baby food? he is 4 months old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think I started my daughter around 4 motnhs little by little, but she never really took to it and started eating it until 6 months, which is when doctors generally tell you to start.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 2:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• We waited until our daughter's gut was closed, which happens at 6 months, as recommended by both the WHO and the AAP.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 2:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• some will tell you 4 mos some 6 so any where inbetween that time is good. Food at this point is only for taste and texture not for nutrition so don't worry if you just have a mess or not the milk is more inportant at this point anyway.Personally cereal is the last think I start usually I start with fruit then veggies then cereal then meat combos and I've never had a problem with any of my 5 and none were ever picky eaters.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I JUST came back from the doc and asked the same question (my son is four months also). He said that I can start the cereal now. There is nutritional value in the rice cereal, but not as much in the fruits andveggies (but he said they're fun so go ahead if you want to). Start with the cereal twice a day mixed with breast milk or formula. add fruits or veggies one at a time with about 3-5 days in between. GOod luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Talk to your childs doctor but 4-6 months is the norm.
    CandleQueen82

Answer by CandleQueen82 at 2:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Six months old. There is a reason that the AAP recommends that age.
    Anonymous

• NOW
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 3:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I would do it now. Both of my boys were on rice cereal very early to help with severe reflux. So, we started fruits and veggies at 4 months.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 3:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• We started rice at 4 months. With the OK from his pediatrician. At almost 5 months he started Avocado. My peds said if you are going to do food before 6 months it should be ONLY 1 cereal, 1 fruit and 1 vege and nothing else. SO as a final food in a few weeks we might do carrots or squash.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• "There is nutritional value in the rice cereal, but not as much in the fruits andveggies "

This is the most bass akwards thing I've ever heard. It's the complete opposite of the truth. Rice cereal is nutritionally barren. There's NOTHING good for your baby in it naturally, it's fortified with vitamin D and iron, which means they're added after the food is processed. Fortified vitamins don't absorb into the body as well as naturally occuring vitamins. Fruits and veggies in the other hand are nutritional powerhouses, completely dense in vitamins and minerals which are naturally occuring and are easily absorbed by the body. Personally, I skipped cereal altogether, feeding my children solids when they were swiping food off of my plate, starting them on banana and avocado, then graduating to other foods gradually.
    Anonymous