How can you tell, before going to the doctor, if your child has an ear infection?

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 9:57 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Health

• i went to walmart and got a thingy to check his ears. it was $20 and it came with a guide showing what a normal ear looks like and what an infected one looks like. the brand was "dr mom" i believe
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• my kids ears drain. I read some where once that if it smells gross then that is an indicator.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Depends some children do one thing while others respond differently.

Temp
    Tugging at ears
    Shaking head
    Crying w/o being comforted
    Lays down, more pain

My daughter would shake her head, also depends on how bad the infection is my daughter always only had mild ones & only have a few she acted to each one a bit differently. You can either take her in to be seen or ride it out either way. Good luck.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• You can't...unless you are a doctor yourself
    Tatumsmommy0123

Answer by Tatumsmommy0123 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My kids, they're off their food and waking up at night often, at least 2-3 days. If ibuprofen helps them sleep and lack of ibuprofen they start waking up, there's a big one. They aren't eating, get some baby advil and an hour later are wolfing down food, that is a sign.

They almost always have them after colds or allergies.

Mine never get fevers, never tug at their ears... they're congested, then they get grumpy and lose sleep, don't eat, stay a little congested for a few days... odds are good! I hate that we have to guess and pay the $40 copay, but I'm right 80% of the time.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My kids have had quite a few ear infections over the years, a few times they had no obvious signs of one (they had other things going on and went to dr for that)- and we did not know there was an active ear infection until the doctor checked their ears. The most obivous signs (for my kids) were they would tug at or rub their ears, and complain of ear pain.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:05 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• You really can't. Sometimes they can be very severe and the child can have NO symptoms. That is what happen to us recently here. My son had ZERO symptoms of an ear infection, but one day woke up with blood coming out of his ear. We immediately took him to the doctor only to learn then that he had a severe ear infection, so severe it burst his ear drum. A burst ear drum was the reason there was blood coming out of his ear. If it wasn't for the blood coming out of the ear we NEVER would have taken my son to the doctor, up to that point he had NO symptoms or signs of an ear infection.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:06 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• There is an implement that you can buy that detects fluid levels, which can be indicative of infection. Increasing fluid levels coupled with behavior cues (hearing tugging, behavior or dietary change) plus fevers, flushing etc.... could help discern an infection.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• There's no universal clue but for my daughter it was always a sudden high fever that came out of nowhere.
    ta2dirishlass

Answer by ta2dirishlass at 10:18 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Some times you can tell by symptoms. But not always. You can also by a otoscope and check your child's ear if you suspect an ear infection.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:27 AM on Jun. 1, 2011