Pinkeye with baby

I am pretty sure I have pink eye.. eeek! I also have a 4 month old. I do not want to spread it to him. Do I need to have my husband stay home from work for a few days to make sure I don't spread it to the baby, or will it be ok as long as I wash my hands frequently?

miranda_nichols

Asked by miranda_nichols at 10:08 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Go to the dr and get some antibotic eye drops. I would also call you baby's peditrican and ask them what they recommend. Pink eye is easily spread. Gl
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 10:11 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Go see your doctor, you need to treat conjunctivitis with antibiotics. It spreads like wildfire when people are less than hygienic. You should not touch your eye/face around it, wash your hands with HOT water and soap frequently, clean EVERYTHING you touch- light switches, door knobs, handles, etc. All of the high contact areas.

I have 3 children, twice we've gotten 'pink eye'- but only one child had it, I was able to prevent it from spreading by keeping everything clean. You don't need your husband home, you just need to be mindful not to touch it, and maintain cleanliness.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:15 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Just keep your hands washed and make sure you do not wipe them. My little ones have had it twice and we have managed to not get it. Make sure whatever you are lying on to sleep you do not put her on. I wouldn't have your hubby come home but I would get to the doctor and get some drops to treat them.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:16 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• You need treatment, and pronto.. you should be able to go to a walk in clinic, once you dose a couple of times, you won't be contagious anymore,, be sure to wash wash wash your hands!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:25 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Go see your doc. Then just keep your hands washed.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Definitely see the Dr so you can get some medicine and have your husband help with the baby. DS had pinkeye at 4 months (same time I did, there was no one to help me) and it's no fun for the baby.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• If you're nursing, or even if you're not but are able to squeeze out a little milk, put that in your eye, at least until you can get to the doctor. Wash hands often. I had pink eye recently, and with proper handwashing and travel size sanitizer for when I wasn't near a sink, no one in my house got it. (DH, my 3 yr old or my 5 yr old). I did go to the doctor about 8 hours after waking up with it, and it was SO bad that the doctor couldn't believe my first symptoms started just that morning! I used the antibiotic drops, but if it's viral, they won't help. As far as I know, there really isn't a way to tell if it's bacterial or viral, so I just used the drops. They helped a little, but I was uncomfortable, tearing, and sensitive to light for a few days. At that time, none of my friends were lactating, I was desperate for milk because I know it would have at least soothed it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I would ask the Pedi. Pink eye gets caught VERY easily! make sure you see your doctor and get antibiotics!! good luck!
    Rydersmom95

Answer by Rydersmom95 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I had pink eye when I first went back to work. I went and got drops and then promply got the flu immediately following (not necessarily related). The baby got pink eye before the drops had a chance to kick in. We both had the pink eye two days and then it was gone.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 7:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2011