School wants my daughter to be in a special class for math next year.

I went to an IEP meeting where the school members, teachers, psychologist, principal all go over the testing that they have done on your kid. Well the Special Education teacher said that she could send home examples for my daughter to use next year for me and her so I can help her with her homework. Well I told them at the meeting that should have happened with the general education teachers and kylee(daughter) wouldn't be going into a special class for math. I was pissed. I mentioned this at our last meeting we had when they said they were testing her. I said to them that if you would have sent home examples for me to help her with all along then she wouldn't be in this situation. The teachers' believe that the kids should be able to do it, which ok I understand that, but any kid is going to have a question on how to do something, right? Anyway, do you guys think this will follow her for the rest of her life even when she is trying to get into any college? I mean, what happens if she only needs two years of special education? Is the colleges going to look down on her later?

shannon979

Asked by shannon979 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Uh no.  It's only a big deal if you make so.  IEP's are wonderful, your child will get the extra help that she needs.

Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:42 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• No, this should not a/effect her college opportunities at all.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:43 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My son was in Special ed from the age of 3 until the 8th grade when he was gradually mainstreamed. The college he attended was never even aware of that. They want the High School transcript for the most part. My son was also eligible for 2 small scholarship because he has learning disabilities.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:44 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Colleges never see what a child did before they entered High School. Why would you set your daughter up for potential failure by keeping her from getting the help that she obviously needs?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:47 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Let the child have the help she needs & stop acting like special education is something to be ashamed of! Some people just need more help then others. Why would you deny that help to your child? They don't Pigeon Hole people like the used to back in the day. They help them, monitor progress & try to get them back in regular ed as soon as they can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Oh gosh, I didn't mean for you guys to think that about me. I want my daughter to get the help she needs. I do. I guess I'm not up to date with the way they do things these days. Sorry if i miscommunicated what I was trying to ask.
    shannon979

Comment by shannon979 (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I think it's best to get her the help that she needs now rather than put it off... If she doesn't get the help now, it may be worse for her later--trust me, we're seeing that with my SD. Her mom didn't want her to get additional help in school (her mom actually said "There's nothing wrong with her!" as if a child struggling means there's something wrong with them!), even after having to repeat Kindergarten. Now she is 2 years behind (she just finishing 2nd grade and she's almost 9) and she is struggling so bad. She can't even do basic math (she's going to start multiplication and division next year and can barely do addition and subtraction).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I guess I was more angry with the teachers decision to not involve the parents with school work (helping wise from parents). But I did cause them to think for a moment about that question. The principals answer was "As a school we need to work on that." I said yes you do cus' otherwise if we as parents could be educated on how you want students to learn that it would be beneficial to the student and I could help her so she doesn't need extra help at school. But they also said that she was wired that way. She was born that way. It's only math that she is having problems in. It's the visual perception( comprehension) of math. My friend told me to get ahold of the school board on the parents involvement and being given permissian, so to speak.
    shannon979

Comment by shannon979 (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I told them I see alot at home with what you see at school. I signed the paper for Special Education. I was in agreeance to her getting extra help. I just want to help them help her, ya' know and the teachers don't want that. I understand that it could confuse her by my know how cus' it doesn't coincide with their teaching. I understand that, but just feel so horrible that I can't help her cus' they don't want me to. It's heartwrenching. I may just get ahold of the school board to bring it up. I am going to get her the help no matter what.
    shannon979

Comment by shannon979 (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2011