Infant cold medicine why are some moms against it????? UHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I am so upset!!! I wonder why when an infant have a cold, runny nose and congestion there is no over the counter medicine to treat it? Even when u call the pedi they tell u to use saline and nasal asperator.... the when it turns into an ear infection then there is a decongestant available for it....Why do the babies have to suffer all that pain when it can be prevented in the first place...NOTE: the ear infection was caused by congestion from the cold.... I so hate my DD having to go thru all that pain! When we as adult have the first sign of a cold we run for over the counter medicine for relief! The Poor Little oNes!

johnsonbaby03

Asked by johnsonbaby03 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• They have proven that the OTC crap for colds is completely ineffective.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:44 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Actually at the first sign of a cold, I personally do NOT run for OTC medications as they don't really do much for a cold. And parents just don't know how to medicate their infants causing many overdosing issues.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:44 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It's not just mothers. The FDA has issued warnings recently that too much cold medicine can have serious side effects in young children, especially under the age of 2 years. It is also questionable if the medicines are even effective at that young age.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:45 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I find that a neti pot works the best for me as an adult. so the saline is a good choice for babies. We always used a nose sucker too..those work really well....my husband was adamant about it and it always worked well. To many parents have abused to otc medicines and they are not good for their little bodies. So use the nose sucker. Use steamy baths. I hope your baby feels better soon.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:45 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It's not so much the moms against it... it's the FDA and the doctors. It would seem that there were so many instances of OD that they changed the age recommendations. That and the fact that is wasn't very effective children under 2 or 3.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Because its ineffective and can be dangerous. You can treat a cold and comfort you child at home without pumping meds into their tiny bodies. Medications like that are hard on a little ones kidneys and liver.

And not all adults run to the pharmacy. I prefer to use natural treatments to care for me and my children's bodies. If you use preventative measures at the first sign of a cold, you can prevent an ear infection.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:49 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• i think the "not as affective line is crap"! w hy when it gets bad then the drs. recommend it n it works???
    johnsonbaby03

Comment by johnsonbaby03 (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• An otc is not going to prevent an ear infection...they treat the symptoms not the actual bug. If the congestion is bad enough it will eventually make its way to ears or chest etc.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:52 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• The reason the FDA had a field day with it is because of stupid moms who didn't follow instructions and over medicated. Also cold meds don't prevent an ear infection, that is caused by either a virus or bacterial infection. But I can sympathize with you. I hated it when my babies were sick. In all honesty the infant cold medicine really didnt' help much.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:56 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My pedi told me that while studies have found cold medicine to be largely ineffective under age 6, that if it seemed to help DS, don't worry about giving it to him. I always waited a day or two, but didn't have any problems giving him some if he was in great distress. It did help him sleep and he seemed much better for it.
    Telephus44

Answer by Telephus44 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 1, 2011