How to cook healthy meals for my kids

I am not a good cook. I never have been. However, now that I am staying home with my two small children (a 3-year old and a 20 month old), I'd to be able to make them healthy meals. They both like pretty much anything as far as food goes. Can anyone suggest a good cookbook or website? Please keep in mind that I am NOT a good cook.... but I can follow directions if they are clearly written.

artdmom

Asked by artdmom at 11:03 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Some of my favorite cookbooks for truly healthy foods are:

Clean Food
    Eating Light
    Deceptively Delicious (this one is a little more time consuming)

To make everyday meals healthier, I use 99% lean ground turkey in place of all ground beef (bison is a good substitute also), we don't buy a lot of processed foods like hamburger helper etc, I base meals around fresh vegetables, whole grains, and add in a little bit of meat (stir fry is excellent), broth based soups, whole grain pasta with homemade sauce (i can send you a recipe if you want), just basic things like that.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• 5dollardinners.com
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Momswhothink.com
    Eatingwell.com
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• allrecipes.com I use it all the time.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• http://www.foodnetwork.com/ has tons of ideas and recipes to go by. You can also just start by changing what you buy. I make chicken stir fry and the kids love it. I will make eggplant parmesian instead of lasagna, things like that. Stop buying cookies, or junk and replace it with apples, oranges, granola etc. Its easier once you start doing those things.

Answer by gemgem at 11:13 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I pick up books from the library all the time and if I find i like it I will purchase it from like amazon.com. I just bought "Fast Easy Fresh" by Barbara Fairchild. i also subscribe to some magazines. I need a book in hand that can travel with me.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Seasme street puts out cookbooks for fun, healthy snack ideas. Probably the easiest healthy lunch I make is to get a bag of the 90 sec microwavable Uncle Ben's brown rice, add in mixed veggies and some diced chicken breast.....easy, quick, and good. Breakfast pizza is fun, whole grain waffle, sugar free jam or fat free cream cheese, sliced bananas and strawberries, yummm!
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 11:20 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I love allrecipes.com too! Also PaulaDeen.com is great! She has easy, yummy meals (use the recipes that say "lighter" in the title cuz she tends to be decadent) and she also has a section to make food kids will enjoy. There are these "Buddy Fruits" at the market that are pureed fruit in a squeezable tube that my daughter loves! Even just adding a salad to your meal will help. Replace sweets with yogurt (that's what my daughter has at dessert time and she loves it).
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 1, 2011