How often (and where) do you meet & hang out with your neighbours?

You know, the people close enough to you that you can walk to their house easily, maybe 30 houses, not just people from your town. Do you see them at the bus stop? Pub? Pool? Coffee shop? Church/synogogue? Do you hang out outside while the kids play or at night with drinks? Do you work with them? Or do you almost never talk to them?

Why do you think that is? For us, it's because we are all respectful (ie haven't made enemies yet), live in a nice neighbourhood (no known drug dealers, late parties, drive-bys, etc), almost all have kids, similar ages...

I'm just curious how many people really have a friendly relationship with their neighbours... we never did before since I was little and I've lived tons of places, but now in this new house, now that the kids are in school, the bus stop allows us to see them, and often we'll all be outside with the kids, which is wonderful.

It's kind of sad we don't have a pub culture here where we'd go in the evenings and see everyone, but we just don't. And the coffee shop gets a certain sort of people (um, me if I didn't have kids) from a much larger area- I never see people I know.

Tracys2

Asked by Tracys2 at 11:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I do not hang out with my neighbors.

Answer by louise2 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I would kill to have a good relationship with my neighbors but nope! lol We all just don't mesh well i guess. I'd love to BBQ and hang outside watch the kids play etc.. i hate my neighborhood.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Never!! Once they asked if we were "just renters" we had nothing else to say.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• We chat with the people across the street once in a while. The loons next door - when ever he is in the mood to be a male chauvinist and tell me that what ever I am doing is man's work. Then I ask him if he's seen a man anywhere in the area - shuts him down until the next time.

DD has a couple of friends in the neighborhood. And my mom lives up the street.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Never!!!
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:09 AM on Jun. 3, 2011