Do you think it's hard to be a single parent?

It's not the responsibility of being a single parent. I love taking care of my family. It's the little moments where you can see where they miss their dad. Or when they are crying and won't say and you know that is what it is they just won't say. Or the days when they ask you the same question that they ask you every so often, and that is, why did dad do what he did and why does he have to be in prison? I can only say, I don't know honey. It's a hollow feeling when you can't have the right thing to say. I love them so much and just hate that he had to turn out to be the person he is.

shannon979

Asked by shannon979 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• It's difficult and you can always reassure them that people make decisions that we cannot control, let them know it's not their fault or yours and that there are consequences for their actions. It's grown up conversations which are difficult to have but it spares them from feeling the weight of the world on their shoulders... It's sad because in situations like that the kids grow up so much faster than their peers, but they are more understanding if they can understand things like that while their young. Just do the best you can do, (and i'm sure you're doing great!!) and when you see them down just give them a hug and reassure them you love them...
    Hunter414

Answer by Hunter414 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Yes I can imagine how hard that is. I still sometimes go through the same thing with my 11 yr old. Her dad isn't in jail but he was in and out for years. When she was a lot younger, i would just tell her that he went away for work.
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 11:27 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I cant imagine it, I have been married for years and would be lost without him..
    JoJo.

Answer by JoJo. at 11:29 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• If your child is old enough. Why not tell them the truth about there dad?

Answer by louise2 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• That must be really tough, Hun. Hugs!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:31 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I am sure it is hard!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:32 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• the loser was never in my son's life. He left when my son was still a baby and as long as you have a strong support system and you show your child they are loved they will turn out alright. My son just graduated high school with top honors. He grew up to be a fine man, even without a father. Be straight with your childrenif they are old enough. They deserve the truth and let them know that you are there for them and that they are loved. Good luck to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I have told both my kids the truth. It's an ugly truth and they have had to grow up fast knowing that their are people out in the world that would do that to kids. even dads. What is really bad too that goes along with it is that the victim was his first biological daughter. But slowly they have gotten through it. It's just sometimes you can see the sadness in them especially if there is a daddy daughter dance and papa goes to it instead of dad, or my son goes fishing and you can just tell that mom should be dad being there with him. Thank god my boyfriend who tries to take on where he is missing out.
    shannon979

Comment by shannon979 (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My parents told me the truth on anything I asked. I am so happy now that they did. I know what to do for my kids now and what's right. they will know later that the only thing they will get out of mama is the truth even if it is hurtful or sad.
    shannon979

Comment by shannon979 (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• at times yes, my dds are 3 years old and 5 months old. they haven't seen their father in about 3 months now and i go to court tomorrow to fight for full custody.. my ex threatened to move out of state with them, and is mentally unstable. so i have a temp custody order so he can't take them anywhere. He was allowed only to come see them here or at his moms with me present. HE choOSE not to see them. so basically he says he's quit... we'll see tomorrow if he shows up to court or not.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2011