Sibling jealousy

My boyfriend has a 7 year old daughter and her birthday is coming up, I want to make it HUGE for her but I'm not sure whether I get her a lot of little things or something big because this year she is no longer an only child. I am the mother of her younger brother and I know the transition will be difficult from having 100% of daddy's attention all the time to sharing it with her brother when I return to work... Last year she got a bike and she's at that hard age where she's beginning to have crushes and growing out of the dolls... What can I get her to say I love her and to keep her entertained while my boyfriend feeds and holds the baby?

Hunter414

Asked by Hunter414 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Nothing u get her will really show u love her for more than just temporarily. The best thing to show her is to spend time with her, not buy her things. Try taking her out to get her nails painted for her party, it'll be bonding time.
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• We do birthdays a bit different. Our kids get presents from family and friends, so what we do is a day alone with just me and dh, we take them out to eat (their choice) and we take them to the store and let them pick out their own present (within reason of course).
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:46 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Nintendo? Or Wii or Kinect are games she can play with you and dad?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:56 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Maybe you could take her to the park for a day or somewhere u and she could spend time togeather 1 on 1.
    TLDaves

Answer by TLDaves at 12:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Do thigs together & make them special
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Take her to get a Mani/pedi then maybe her dad could meet you two for lunch, then take her shopping for a new outfit and small gift of her choice.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I think that things are not going to do it, love is what matters. Just doing special things with her and taking time to spend one on one time is the most important.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I agree with ktmom, material things are not enough, you have to spend that extra time with her
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:52 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Plan the party with her. It'll show her that she is big enough to do it and that you value her opinion.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:46 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I agree with KTMOM.
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2011