What do you know about gallbladder attacks? Think I may be having one!

mamalarson

Asked by mamalarson at 11:39 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Health

• Mine was in the form of extremely sharp pains in my back on the right side. Sometimes they seemed to wrap around my side. They took my breath away. That is all I really remember. That and I went to the emergency room with it because I was pregnant and it was the middle of the night. The technician did a sono and saw my gallbladder was "full of sludge" as he put it. The only way to know for sure is to go to a doctor.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Call your doctor.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:54 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I have an appt. this afternoon. Will update later.
    mamalarson

Comment by mamalarson (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Mine started right after I ate a fatty meal. Started as sharp pain under my rib cage on the right side, which soon radiated around my back and up into my chest. I thought i was having a heart attack or something. Went to the ER, the pain was still going after an hour. They started me on meds which gradually lessened the pain, then they did an ultrasound on my gallbladder, liver, pancreas, kidneys, stomach to find the source of the pain. Liver enzymes were mildly elevated, but I had no gallstone showing up on ultrasound. They told me that I was probably having an episode of biliary colic, which could be caused by a stone too small to see on the ultrasound. The pain went away after about 3 hours, and I was put on a low fat no dairy diet which has thus far worked. I NEVER had the pain again because I was very strict about the diet. I lost almost 60lbs in the process too, didn't have to have my gallbladder removed!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2011