If you have a pool and toddlers... pool safety alarms, fences, ect...

What devices do you have in place to keep them safe? We installed a locking pool fence but I don't feel like it is enough. Anyone tried those wristbands that alarm when they're submerged or the alarm that sounds when something falls in the pool?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 11:41 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is it an inground pool? We put battery operated alarms on our doors and windows that lead out to the backyard when our kids were toddlers. You can get them at Home Depot. We also have a fence around the pool. We felt like that was enough for us. I always had my eyes on the kids, so I always knew where they were. If it was quiet in the house, trouble was afoot, lol. But we did talk to them, as toddlers, about how they were NEVER EVER allowed to go outside without mommy or daddy. My daughter would repeat back to me very solemnly "neber eber". Another thing we did was put them in swim lessons which did come in handy the day my daughter fell in the pool fully clothed when she was 3. She was out on the pool deck with my husband, he was doing something and she was looking for lizards. A lizard hopped out of the bushes and she jumped back and fell in the pool. Thankfully she knew just what to do and swam to the side and..
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• climbed out before my husband could even react.
    slw123

• We have an above ground pool, with a raised deck and railing. There is a gate on it that latches automatically, could be locked, and the latch is out of reach of the kids (you have to reach way over the gate to open it). And of course the children are preached at to never ever go on the pool deck without an adult.
    The things that sound an alarm if the water is disturbed go off way too often to be reliable. Never heard of the bracelet thing.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It is an in ground pool. I worry because we have an adult babysitter at our house 4 days a week. I'm not saying I don't trust her, i just can't be too careful.
    Mel_in_PHX

Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Jun. 1, 2011