Bedroom sharing dilemma? Suggestions please!!

We have been living with my in laws. Our 4 kids have been sharing a room, and the baby has been sleeping with us in the living room. We have been holding out hoping that something would go up for rent with 4 bedrooms, this has not happened yet, and I'm tiered of waiting, so we are looking at a place with 2 bedrooms and a loft. We figure just getting our own place on a month to month lease while we keep looking for a larger place is a better option then living with the in laws. Well, Dh and I would take the loft. I was talking about having our only daughter 4 (khaela) have a room of her own, and the three boys share a room, and the baby sleep in our room. Our daughter does not like this idea, she wants to be with her brothers (mostly her 5 yr old brother Gabe), but, our 7 yr old doesn't want to be without Gabe either, and our 3 yr old doesn't want to be without the 7 yr old. Right now they are very happy sharing a room altogether, but in the new place I don't think we could fit all the beds in one room, and we do have one set of bunk beds, and the 7 yr old sleeps on the top bunk, but I don't feel comfortable with doing 2 sets of bunk beds as I don't' think the 5 yr old is ready for a top bunk (he only half wakes up when he gets up to pee at night). I love that they all want to be together, and don't want to discourage that, but don't know how to situate things in a way that will work.

Should I just divide them up 2 and 2, should I force my daughter to have her own room when she doesn't want one, or should I do what I can to make them all fit into one room?

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 11:43 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would split them up, two to a room, by age. Then I would have "sleep overs" between the kids, so they can all switch around and still get to sleep near the sibling they are closest to.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:48 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• So you have 5 kids. How old is the baby?
    I would put the baby and the girl in one room and the 3 oldest in the other room.

Answer by louise2 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I have been told that once they hit school age boys and girls need separate rooms so I would put your daughter with the youngest boy. And then switch him to the boys' room when your baby girl is old enough to be in another room.
    I think PP had a great idea with the sleepover suggestion though!
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:52 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Louise 2, The baby is 14 mo, but he is not yet sleeping through the nigh, so I prefer to have him close so that I can nurse him when he wakes.

Nicoles2, I have heard that two, but at the same time, in our last place we had them separate, and my daughter would just sneak into the older boys room every night and sleep on the foot of her brothers bed.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Youre the mom and you make the choice, they dont have one. Tell them you love that they want to be together but they are getting older and its time to split up. They can still play in each others rooms which honestly might be part of it (wondering how the toys would go).

Answer by gemgem at 11:58 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• If the rooms are small I'd split them up 2 by 2. We have 5 kids, too and lived with my dad. For the longest time the older 3 (2 girls and a boy) shared one big room. Then last summer before we moved we put all 4 kids in the room (it was a big room so they had space) while we used the other bedroom for storage. Since it was temporary we took all the beds apart and they just slept on mattress on the floor for over a month. They didn't care. Heck, my son still only has a mattress on the floor. He rarely sleeps on it. He prefers the floor (he's 9). We moved into a 3 bedroom house. The girls (10, 8 and 5) have one room with a bunk bed and small junior bed (eventually we're getting a trundle). My son has the other room and will eventually share with the baby who is 10 months and still in my room.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Oh, and I wanted to say at one point we lived in a 3bed apartment. The kids were 3, 4 and 5. The girls (3 and 5) had one room and my son had the other and EVERY single night he sneaked into their room and slept next to their beds. His room was only used to store his toys, many of which he dragged into their room so he wouldn't be alone when he played. That's why when we moved back with my dad they got one room together. They were 5, 6 and 7 when we moved back and all 3 shared a room for 2 years. Then the oldest (then 9) started sharing a room with her baby sister (then3). But the middle boy and girl continued to share until we moved here last summer when they were almost 8 and 9. They never thought anything of it. My son still camps out in their room occasionally. Or one of the younger girls will sleep in his room with him. I'm happy they are that close and I encourage it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• If it were me, the baby would be with me and DH, and as long as they were behaving, I'd put all the kids together. There's nothing wrong with that, and it teaches them to be closer. Once they got to an age where it wasnt' appropriate, I'd deal with it then
    MedicMommy

Answer by MedicMommy at 7:04 AM on Jun. 2, 2011