How do you teach someone to talk

how did you teach your kids to talk
when did they start actually talking more than just a word hear n there

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Assuming your child is normal and healthy, are your expectations too high?
    By 18 months, most kids have 10 to 20 words. These words may not sound like the word you use... "na" for banana or "dee" for balloon. If the sound is used the same way, each time, and you know what the child means - then it's a word. And note the "most" in "most kids have"... some kids don't have 10 words, some have over 100. Both are still normal.
    By 24 months, kids are stringing words together... "mo ooee" for "more cookie". At best, you will understand only half of what your child says and strangers will understand far less.
    By 30 months, kids are speaking in sentences... "mommy, look at the big doggy" and "I NEED a cookie NOW".
    By 36 months, you can actually have conversations with them. The topics will be limited - they can't discuss politics or physics - but the taking turns, listening, and sticking to a topic of converstation is there.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Just talk to them! Make them say what they want instead of them pointing and saying waaaahhh or whatever.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• ask them whats this...
    but warning....
    They will find things and ask you a billion and one times "THIS"
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:36 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I agree with the "talk to them" idea. Make a running commentary of whatever it is that you are doing or your child is doing.

My youngest is hard of hearing and wears hearing aids so we worked really hard to make sure she got lots of exposure to language so that she could learn to talk.

If you are concerned about whether your child is talking enough, please get your child's hearing checked by an audiologist (not a pediatrician because their testing is not always very accurate since they are not trained for this.) If a child has a lot of ear infections, they may have temporary hearing loss that makes it harder for them to hear.
    lauraslefthook

Answer by lauraslefthook at 3:03 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• You just talk to them. You don't have to teach a child to talk any more than you have to teach them to play with simple toys. They hear you doing it, they see you doing it and they copy you. Of course, if your child has hearing problems or learning problems, then you do need help. A speech therapist can tell you the best games to play at home to help increase understanding and verbal ability.
    kaycee14

• i tell my daughter what everything is, when we are doing things and what we are doing. she when she tries to repeat something I will tell it to her a few times and get her to try to say it a few times. she may not pick it up right away but then out of no where whe will say it right. so it's just doing things over and over again with them, even simple things like combing your hair or their hair or brushing your teeth or reading a book. my daughter was telling me at aorund 12 mo "wa ead" (wanna read). now she says it right. she also says wanna sit, want out, shoes on, brush teeth. wanna ride. she says lots of 2 word sentences now and some 3 word. just repetition
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 3:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I talked to my kids even in utero. I have never and never will dumb down what I say. When my children frist started talking I used to have them repeat a bunch of words they knew in a sentance. I have always spken to them like little people and never babytalked.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 1:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2008