What do you offer neighbor kids as a snack?

I'm tired of feeding the neighborhood! Not kids who are invited over but kids who's parents tell them Get out and play (they always come straight to my house). They eat everything & drink everything & they're wasteful. I wouldnt mind except they come over every single day! I want to start only offering water! Is that really rude? What sort of snacks do you offer to these visitors? thanks!

Trixie569

Asked by Trixie569 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would offer water, and something cheap you can buy in bulk, like animal crackers. You never know if there are some kids that are eating a snack at your house because there isn't a snack to eat at theirs...
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Water is just fine, especially in the summer when they're running around outside in the heat! Things like pretzels, popcorn, animal crackers, and graham crackers are pretty cheap. Also, those "Mr. Icey" popsicles are super cheap!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• give them water and tell them that if they want a snack they have to eat it all or they will not get anymore EVER!!!!!!!
    shannon401

Answer by shannon401 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• 1. water is healthy, economical, and many of us don't drink it enough. there is nothing wrong with serving it.
    2. honestly, i don't have the money to serve the neighborhood kids snacks, so I wouldn't. but if you want to (which is really sweet), maybe do those ultra cheap ice pops.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Well considering the price of every thing, and your doing it evry day is making them know where they can get snack's and keep coming back for more when they should be going home and getting a snack, nope offer them water, tell them your out of snack's, and when it's snack time for your child bring him or her in and give them there snack. Rules are Rules
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• no its not rude they come over univited so its not rude to only offer water
    ima247mom

Answer by ima247mom at 1:08 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• No water is not rude, and I get the same thing all the time here. Sometimes I wonder if the parents actually know what their kids are doing. I know I would be upset if I knew my kids were over at the neighbours begging for a snack. Some people just dont care. I gave them popsicles, bought or homemade. I stopped being so nice and they have slowly stopped asking. Or just assuming that I would give them something. I hope this helps. Good luck and be strong!
    ohiomommy77

Answer by ohiomommy77 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Depends, do you like the kids being there, or not? LOL

There's nothing wrong with setting limits and expectations.

Water is fine.
    spkaudi

Answer by spkaudi at 11:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2008