Timeshare buying?

im thinking of buying timeshare, does anyone have one and what is youur experience with that?
good idea or not? and please let me know which is the best one. thanks

pook003

Asked by pook003 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Travel

• The previous poster is correct that they have a terrible re-sale value. On the upside, you can buy your timeshare resale and pay pennies on the dollar over the developers prices. We have a timeshare/vacation club and we love it. We originally bought through the developer, but we later added a ton more time buying resale and we paid about 80% less that way. You really want to do your research first when choosing and asking other people like you are gives you a leg up on those who go in knowing nothing at all and get suckered in by the pretty presentations. Anyways, ours is through Bluegreen Vacation Club. There is a Yahoo group for them that is filled with owners who can answer your questions and a trustworthy resale company to buy through is www.pinnaclevacations.com, we bought our resale with them and they came highly recommended by the owners in the Yahoo group. They made things really easy and answered all our questions
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I know a few people that have them and we looked into it a while back. We decided not to because they don't have resale value (they actually depreciate in value.). My friend loves hers and uses it a lot, but she has to do a lot of advanced planning to make sure she can get a good trade, sometimes being on a wait list for a long time for certain trades. I also hear a lot of commercials on satellite radio about companies that help you get rid of your timeshare, so it must be hard to unload, especially in this economy.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I don't have any experience with them. They have always seemed shady to me and I'm not into attending high pressure sales pitches.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 10:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I would avoid getting into a timeshare.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:01 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• We go to one every year that is owned by friends of ours (Marriott Vacation Club) but I would never personally own one. Theirs is in a more "ritzy" type area and the maintenance fees alone are too much, though the actual price of owning the timeshare are not. They can, however, go to any one of Marriott's timeshares around the world. Also, take into consideration the cost of getting there every year or whatever your timeframe is ... will you be driving or do you have to fly? Air travel is getting to be ridiculously expensive. There are a lot of rules associated with owning one, especially when you can and can't book ... if during peak times (spring break, for example), you often have to book at least 14 months in advance to get the time you want. Right now, re-sale is nearly non-existent because of the economy, though it may be the time to buy. You can actually find people trying to sell off their weeks on Ebay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• thank you sooo much for all of your responses, I am happy to say the I am gonna start looking I know that it might be risky but if I do a lot of reserch and make sure I ask a lot of questions I think I'll get a good deal, and I really think it is easier to plan vacations that way and not only that, I think you pretty much pay for your vacation thorughout the year instead of in one lump sum. If this is incorrect pls let me know, But I will start my search this weekend, and definetly going to search the bluegreen timeshare, thanks again, ladies pls if you have anymore input, pls do not hesitate!! have a great day friends!!
    pook003

Comment by pook003 (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2011