My boys have WAY too many toys!

We live in a 2bdrm apt. It's not very big, but for the price it's way bigger than what we were seeing when we were looking. When our second son was born and began sleeping through the night we decided to let the boys share the bigger bedroom instead of trying to fit them both in the smaller bedroom. The big bedroom really is almost twice as big with a bigger closet so it just made more sense to us. The problem is, even with all that space they have way too many toys! Each side of the closet has a plastic tote full, two toyboxes outside of the closet, an armoire full of books, puzzles, and games, a clear stack of 3 drawers full of stuff, 2 wagon full of stuff... Plus a twin bed, kiddie armchair, desk, and crib
As it is now it takes quite a bit of work to keep things tidy and organized, but it's not impossible. Since Christmas we have gotten rid of about 4 trashbags of toys that were either broken or no longer played with. My 5yo has helped me go through his things each time and has let go some surprising things so I'm very proud of him. The thing is, he has been saving his allowance for the Imaginext Batcave and it has a million accessories. He's got enough for it but I feel like there isn't room. Is it fair to make him get rid of even more stuff when he plays with just about everything that's left? Or is it time for me to invest in better storage options? What do you use in your kids' rooms? How ofter do you sort and toss/donate their toys?

Nicoles2LilRams

Asked by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• If he truly plays with EVERYTHING then I'd say invest in better storage options.
    Anonymous

• If it's getting to be too much, then he'll have to get rid of some other things. I'm sure he won't have an issue with it. I always go through and have my girls clean out their stuff. Things that are broken go into the trash. Things that they don't play with are donated to make room for new toys. Their birthdays are in September and November, so it's RIGHT before christmas, so it's very important to have them clean it out. They've only got two of the plastic tubs, and some other things that won't fit in it. I.E. such as a gigantic bear that they use when they're watching t.v., or doll strollers, etc.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 12:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I agree with the first answer.
    but I do have a suggestion of you want to clear some of the stuff out. My young nice has always had the rule that when new stuff comes in, a few older things go out.

If they are in good playable condition she gives them to the children's hospital for the kids to play with. I take magazines and leave them in laundromats. makes you feel better about letting stuff go.

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Sounds like it's time to go through the toys and get it down to a manageable amount.
    lizlikeno1

Answer by lizlikeno1 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I go through my sons toys about once a month and things he hasn't played with in forever, McDonalds type toys, etc get donated to charity. I try to keep his toys to a minimum these days. I don't think it is a quantity of toys that is important as the quality and what he really plays with - and i just feel better when my house is less cluttered. He used to have SO MANY too but we are much happier having donated a majority and just keep the main ones he likes or will definitly grow into playing with.
    joisie1978

Answer by joisie1978 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Store toys where they can't see them and rotate through them. Then every time you pull out the storage toys it's like new toys all over again.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:18 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• store them in plastic bins under their beds(or yours) or in the closet and rotate them give away or throw away ones that they have outgrown
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 3, 2011