I just have to ask, would you let your small children play in cold water when it's 64 degrees outside,and windy??

I know that things are different now a days. But I was shocked when I went to visit my grandkids, and my youngest grand child (18 months old)was in his diaper playing in ice cold water in a kiddie pool, he was cold, to touch and shaking. I was told he likes to play in water...... he was holding the garden hose adding water to the pool. (COLD WATER)
I was cold just being out side with him, and the wind picked up and it was getting colder out. I just had to ask!

grandma2011

Asked by grandma2011 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Hell no!!! cold water i it's hot outside sure...but cold water when it's cold..no way!!!
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Thank you!! I thought the same thing too. I try not to say anything, and when I do, well I guess I don't know much. Makes one wonder about people at times.HUH??
    grandma2011

Comment by grandma2011 (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• No. And the mom should have been ripped a new a-hole for allowing it. Sorry. That child could get pneumonia.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• At the same times, kids don't really care about temperture. They're just thinking about having fun. lol
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I agree, but I am made to feel like they know more than I do about raising kids. Maybe I was over protective......I have 2 grown kids, and help to raise 4 grandkids. Some people raising kids now a days think they know it all about raising kids.
    .thank you for your in put.
    grandma2011

Comment by grandma2011 (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Well, I live in MN and 64 degrees HERE is actually considered pretty dang warm (as in, turn the a/c on! Especially if it's sunny to boot!)....even with wind and/or overcast skies. People wear shorts as soon as it gets into the 40's, be there snow still on the ground or not. So.....it's kind of relative to what you're used to, I guess? I'd definitely let me kids go at it outside, but probably make sure they had some clothes on and definitely would have them take a break if they were cold and shivering.
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• *my kids
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I now live in Colorado. But I know enough when kids are cold. I love the weather here. But I think it's still too cold to be playing in cold water and it's in the 60's outside. I just have to pray for my grandbabies. I'm damned if I say anything, cause they are not my kids. And no matter if this child wants to play in the water or not. I feel the parent or parents should use good judgement. This baby just had on a diaper........
    grandma2011

Comment by grandma2011 (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• uhhh, no... if its cold and they want to play in water, there is a bath tub.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Not at 18 months. But my older kids (5, 8, 9 and 10) make those decisions for themselves. They want to freeze that's their problem. I warn them it's not a good idea but they rarely listen.

Then again we went to the beach (in Oregon) on Saturday. The air temp was in the upper 50s/low 60s the whole day. And my kids went in the ocean. I wouldn't have dreamed of stopping them. They had a blast and 2 of them ended up soaked to the bone so badly they had to strip and ride in the car in their underwear (leather seats) and we stopped at Goodwill to buy them new clothes. Meanwhile I was in jeans and long sleeve t-shirt (eventually I did get my feet wet). Lots of kids were playing in the water, some even in bathing suits.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2011