How do you go about potty training a boy that don't care he is dirty?

My sisters son will be 3 next month and he will not sit on the potty if you put him on it he will cry and say no don't want to go potty. My sister believes he knows what a potty is and believes he knows what you are supose to do on it. The thing is my sister lets him in when she is going, but his dad wont he says he feels werid going to the bathroom with him in there. And when you ask him if he needs a diaper change he will say no and go play he doesn't care is dirty. And he screams when you change his diaper because he doesn't want it changed. It takes 2 people to change him sometimes cause he wont lay there to get it done. But if you tell him then learn to go potty and you wont have to get a diaper change he says no. And also if you change him he will say I stinky and laugh. She asked me cause she said she don't know how to go about it. She uses pullups. I told her to use undies all day, but she wont because she says he will go to the bathroom everywhere. I don't know what else to tell her since I have all girls. Mine were trained at 19 months and 21 months and it only took me a month to do it. But I have girls so I don't know what to tell her about a boy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• My kids never cared if their diaper was dirty. She needs to put him in underwear. He will care when it pours down his legs. He will go all over the house, but only for a few days. Then he will get that it's gross and he needs to go on the potty.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Put him in underwear and when he makes a mess make HIM clean it up.

Set up a reward chart.

We did a homemade calendar and my son would get a sticker if he could go ALL DAY accident free. When he went 10 days, consecutive, accident free he got the treat of his choice; picked out before we started the 10 days. He had picked going on a ferry boat ride and getting ice cream on the other side. He made it on the third try for 10 days consecutive. It was also some of the best ice cream we've ever had, even though we've been to that shop several times.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Reward him for dry pants, not for going on the potty.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 5:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2011