I live in Wisconsin and am wondering if anyone knows the differnce between a legal separation vs. just separating.

I am in need of rediscovering myself this summer. My marriage is changing due to empty nest syndrome and I will be unemployed at the end of this month. I do not want a divorce and by the sounds of a legal separation I don't want that either. Can someone living in Wisconsin just live separately while working on their marriage and themselves be done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• Legal seperation means you involve a lawyer and literally make a binding contract that says you'll do this and he'll do that until you come to an agreement or something. Just seperating means you leave your husband without involving a lawyer.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Of course you and your spouse can choose to live separately but if you're looking for him to support you and the kids or if he is looking for you to support him and the kids (even partially) you may have to file for legal separation.
    Anonymous

• A legal separation assures that any debts that are accrued during the separation are not your responsibility if he was the one who runs up the credit card, buys a car etc.. if you need his monetary support and he is not willing you will need to get legally separated to get that support. If you just need time to think away from your hubby and trust his decisions while you are thinking, then you can just separate without it needing to be legal. I did this with my ex, and it worked out okay, no hard feelings because he was not "forced" into something while I was trying to figure out what happens next with our marriage. I was able to support myself monetarlily during this time and there were no young children in the home to worry about. Good luck.
    Wyomingmama

Answer by Wyomingmama at 12:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• The quicker you find clarity, the quicker you
    can make this relationship better or make
    the decision to move on.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 2:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• You want everything legal just in case he takes something that doesn't belong to him, etc... being seperated does crazy things to people esp when its the person who didn't ask for the seperation.
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 3:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2011