How do we get him to stop?

my sons five weeks old we have changed him swaddled him, held him fed him,and he still wont stop crying. i have tryed puting him in his bouncer with rain forest sounds, putting him in his care seat and putting it on the washer while its going, tyred putting him in the bathroom in his bouncer with runing water we'v tryed gass x, and music. i was told if he had an ear infection that he'd be grabbing at his ears alot, hes not doing that.. but anyways my question is are there anymore tricks that we could try to get him to stop crying? he has an ear appointment today should i ask them why he'd be crying so much or would they just be strickly for ears?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He might have colic..........my daughter did I thought it was going to drive me insane, if that is what it is be glad to know this too shall pass, keep your head up it WILL get better
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 12:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I would ask them, he could have colic, could have silent reflux, could be teething. Could be a lot of things, but make sure you mention it to your doc. How is he if you just lay him down alone, in a quiet dark room? Some babies don't like all that stimulation as well. bEst of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Yeah he might be colic.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My daughter had an ear infection and she was almost 2, she did not pull on her ear. I would just get him checked by your ped doc. It could be his formula as well.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It really sounds like he may be having acid reflux. Constant crying that cannot be soothed means they are in some type of pain. Acid reflux in babies is really common and can be controlled with medications. Are you taking him to is pediatrician or just an ear doctor? A pediatrician will know all of the right questions to ask to figure out why your little guy is so sad. Good luck!
    Wyomingmama

Answer by Wyomingmama at 12:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• he is brest fed.. and no we are going for ears. and he hates the dark and to much light both make him cry even worse. should i call his docter and see if they could get us in earlyer? he has an appointment on the tenth.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Have you cut out anything in your diet that may be upsetting him? Dairy, gassy veggies, etc...? If so, maybe you could try gripe water. My son didn't have colic, but I have heard good things about it. It's herbal liquid you give them. Little Remedies makes one version, and I found another version online at vitacost.com. Hylands also sells colic tablets which my sister in law SWEARS by. Again, no idea if it works...but both items are fairly inexpensive so worth a shot maybe? If it's not the ears, that is.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Have you tried a warm bath? Maybe his stomach is still bothering him even with the drops. My 19 day old daughter gets gas pains sometimes and even after burping her and giving her the drops it still bothers her. What seems to help her is being cuddled, rocked/bounced, and a pacifier. Her stomach still hurts, but it makes her feel more comforted while it does. Eventually the fussing stops (she stops full blown crying when we give her the pacifier) and she falls asleep. Sometimes it takes 5-10mins, sometimes an hour plus. We just keep trying. If it ends up being 2 hours after we've fed her last, I'll go ahead and nurse her again even though she's probably not hungry, it's just another thing to help comfort her. Usually this helps best to get her to fall asleep, but I try to use it as a last resort so she doesn't get used to getting fed just because something is bothering her.
    ours

Answer by ours at 1:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• He could be going through a growth spurt, since you said he is BF, try feeding him again. He may also just want to be held for comfort! Good luck, I hope things get better soon!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Is he a pacifier baby? Sometimes sucking will help. Or he may have hit his six week growth spurt a little early. Sometimes I would try everything else, thinking I had just nursed my dd and she couldn't possibly be hungry, but then I would finally put her back to the breast and that seemed to be the cure. The video Happiest Baby on the Block helped me out a lot with my newborn, too. Good luck, Mama.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2011