We're gonna be homeless if he doesn't take this more seriously?

We're in the middle of being transferred - DH is already in the new town working. We have no confidence in the housing market and decided not to buy right now - so that leaves us to find a rental lease. We have a couple of downfalls being racers in this sprint to the houses available.

1st - There are very few rental properties; that is a booming oil town, all the apartments have a waiting list, the hotels are booked solid and you might be lucky if 5 decent rentals come on the market in a whole week. So when something good pops up, you gotta jump- and jump quick! (I'd love to be more selective, but we just can't afford that kind of time)

2nd - We have pets - which is a BIG negative trying to rent (if 3 houses hit the rental market you can bet 2 don't accept pets)

3rd- DH is there, I'm here (7 hours away). I send him what I get in my email from the realtor - he might FINALLY get around to calling her late evening or the next day - then he'll set up an appointment to see the house the day after - then he'll get the application but hang onto it a couple of days until he gets around to getting it back to them. - We've lost 4 good houses like this already in 3 weeks.

He's driving me nuts. This whole thing is driving me nuts. I can't even get a hotel to go out there for a week to do the looking myself. I've tried to book a room twice and been told both times that they could get me one room for a couple nights, then I'd have to go to another hotel or room mid-trip because that particular room was only available for a couple of nights at a cost of nearly $1000 for a week!

We have 2 months left on our current lease; and our douche bag landlady already said that she won't do a month to month - it's either sign a new 1-year lease or move out when the lease it up (that's her right, I understand it) - it takes 3 weeks to schedule the movers, we've already lost a month of looking for a house with his "I'll get to it sometime in the next couple of days" attitude. - The weeks are winding down quick!

He has a hotel room that the company is paying for - BUT if I go there, they disqualify those days as "personal expense" and won't reimburse us for them. Plus his hotel room is only booked for another week - We've even looked into a damn RV temporarily - but all the RV parks are filled to brim too - I'm running out of options and patience.

If he don't get his ass on the ball, we're gonna be homeless in a few weeks.

I'm doing all I can from here - but this is one of those times when he has to step up, because he is actually there, is only working from 8-5, has weekends off --- he has PLENTY of time to chase a house.
Grrrrr, and we lost another one today - because he looked at it LAST Wednesday and only turned the app in yesterday! I'm ready to SCREAM!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Holy Crap how frustrating.. I'm so sorry!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Then have the realtor send you the application and hope fro whatever info you recieved about the rental that you like it site unseen...even it's it;s just a yr. you live there at least it's better then nothing...don;t wait for him to decide on something
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I am sorry you going through this and I hope you find something! Some men just like to drag they're feet and expect us to pick up the slack!

good luck

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:00 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Hadn't thought of that Happymama - Don't like the idea of renting something sight-unseen - but it is what it is I guess. A big thing that sucks is that I know that town - and I know where the 'crap neighborhoods' are - so I can tell from an address if a house is in a bad neighborhood - the houses in good neighborhoods are gone within 24 hours of listing - leaving us with the only other options (today)- which is 1 corporate rental in a good neighborhood ($4000 a month) or 2 houses on the crappy side of town, one of which is still 2 grand a month. Maybe something new will come up tomorrow.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I had to do everything when we moved as well but at least I was able to look for myself. Are you only going through your ealtor or are you checking out other leads? Would you be willing to pay a locator service? I don't know, just some ideas.
    I hope you will be able to pull it off, I understand how tough it must be
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 1:09 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I agree with happymama, take matters into your own hand. Like I say nothing ever gets done unless you do it yourself.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• At this point, I WOULD scream. He needs to be doing this. I would not be comfortable renting something I hadn't been through and inspected, but I can say homeless would be worse!!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Can you book a hotel in the next town over and just drive to look at the houses?
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Or even look for a house in the next town over?
    kc932

• LOL KC thanks for thinking of it - but our search already encompasses towns even 2.5 hours away from his work. The two towns are like twin-towns (they're 20 miles apart). We're looking everywhere. It's an oil boom out there - and that part of the state has enjoyed quite a bubble in the middle of the rest of the economy, with unemployment at 5% and housing prices that are increasing instead of declining like the rest of the country. It's a good place to land a job right now - a Bad place to land a roof over your head.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Jun. 1, 2011