I dont know what dog I want (revised)

I got weird andswers last time so let me try this again bc I still need help.
Not to be rude but please read question all the way and take it all into consideration.

I want a small inside lap dog (it will go outside to do its buisness and play a little)
HAS TO BE GOOD WITH CHILDREN
I don't want a dog that has to have a haircut (doesn't mean I want hairless)
I don't want a weenie or chawauwau (sorry can't spell)
I heard pugs are stinky
I don't mind if it is a yelper (I live in the country and a yelper alarm would be a plus)
again HAS TO BE GOOD WITH CHILDREN AND don't want to cut hair.

I really don't want a dog from the sheter bc our shelter arn't really educated on the dogs and I want to know if it will always be good with the kids.

I don't care if it is pure bread or a mix.

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 12:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Pets

• I'm an answer hog on this one. You can go to www.akc.org. They list a bunch of different breeds and give you info about each.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Basset Hounds are awsome. They usually have even temperments. They are good with kids usually, but like any other dog..if you let your kids play rough with the dog, lay on them, pull their tails, ears etc....if your children arent' taught to treat the dog with respect, then that dog will learn to hate kids.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:09 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I just want to add that any dog can be good with kids if it is raised with them and properly trained. :)

Boston Terrier, Pekinese, Pomeranian, Miniature Pinscher, Pappillion, Shih Tsu, Rat Terrier...
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• We have a rat terrier/jack russell mix. I'd advise against it, he is moody and doesn't like my kids. he wasn't raised to be like that. however, he is 8 so...
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• there are not many for you to choose from with those specifications. I saw the last post and I think why people mentioned the hairless is because the majority of small "lap dogs" require grooming. Any dog that has been well socialized and even raised with kids can be great with kids. I am not a little dog person but I do like Boston terriers.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Cocker Spaniel? Our neighbor has one and she runs a daycare.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Boston Terrier. that's what you want. they are easy to train, good with kids. easy to keep clean (not real smelly) with regular baths. Short hair, no cutting needed, BUT as will all dogs, you will need to make sure you give them their baths, trim their nails, keep their ears clean (much like children) if you do go with a boston terrier, you need to watch out for their eyes, since they usually bug out just a bit, it is easy for them to get them scratched. But otherwise, they are usually very good dogs.
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My hubby wants a basset hound and I don't mind them but I really want a lap dog.
    Kimkh

Comment by Kimkh (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I believe I answered you last time, but I will throw it out there again...Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. We have a Cavalier King Charles mix (we think she may be mixed with dachshund, but we are unsure as no one ever saw her father). She is the most amazingly patient dog. She gets along well with our toddler and our 3 cats. Although the breed has longer hair they require almost no grooming. A regular brushing and occasionally a trimming of the hair growing between their toes....both of which are things you can do yourself and do not require spending money on a groomer.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 6:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Other than the Boston Terrier, I'm pretty sure you just outed all your options by putting "lap dog" and "No clipping" together in your qualifications. Most breeds of lapdogs (unless hairless) require a lot of grooming unless they are given a puppy cut. How old are your kids? The caution with small dogs is not so much that they will be nippy but that young kids will be too rough with them since most small dogs are fragile. Like, "they may break a bone from jumping off the couch" fragile. And if your kids are rough with the dog that is what usually inspires child aggression. As long as you teach your kids to respect the dog and to treat it like a living thing and not a toy or a stuffed animal, the dog should treat them the same way it treats you. It also helps to get the kids very involved in the dogs care and training. It teaches your dog that your kids are above them in the social order and teaches your kids responsibility.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 7:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2011