Do you live in a major city?

Do you find it easier or harder to raise kids in the city? I always thought it'd be hard.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 1:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes - It's easy since everything is here.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• nope, i'm about 30 miles away from a large city...i like it out here in the boonies
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I miss the city. :( I like the small town we're living in but I miss the city too.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I live in Sacramento. I used to live in a small out of the way town that I thought was REALLY boring. In the city I have access to so much more and a lot more things to do as a family. I love city life! My teen years I lived in San Francisco and that was GREAT! To bad it so expensive to live there! I would rather be 5 mins from a Grocery store than 2 hours like we used to be. My husband doesn't like it so much so I told him that when we get ready to buy a house we can buy it on the outskirts of the city.

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Yeah I live two hours from Seattle. I feel deprived. lol
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I live in Vegas, but I can't really say wether it is easy or harder to raise my kids here because I've never lived in a small city. I grew up in Sacramento, lived in St. Louis, Los Angeles area and San Diego! I think it would be interesting to move to a small city though.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 1:09 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I live on the edge of Las Vegas. I like it here because it feels like a normal neighborhood, but everything is convenient and we have more options than we ever had when we lived in small towns.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:11 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Where I live it's mostly run by elderly people, so there's no chance of this town expanding or getting a shopping mall or anything like that. So we have to travel an hour and half to go shopping. We have things like Wal Mart and Costco, things like that, but it's not cheap.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• We live in a suburb of San Diego, about 30 minutes from our city life. I was just telling my husband the other day that I'm glad our teen kids can walk with their friends down the street to the shopping square without worrying about crazy traffic or homeless people on the corners. As cool as it would be to live a city life, 30 minutes away when you have kids, is the most ideal. JMO. BTW, Seattle area is where my husband and I would like to move when all of our kids are grown- in about 7 years.
    Danishlady

Answer by Danishlady at 1:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I used to. I was born and raised in Chicago and raised my kids there for most of the last 11 years. I don't think it was/is any easier or harder than where we live now (small town outside of Vancouver, WA). Honestly we drove just as far to get to malls and shopping when we lived in Chicago as we do now. It's just in Chicago you sit in traffic for 40 minutes to drive 6 miles (I kid you not). Whereas here we drive 20 miles in 20 minutes. We were too poor to really appreciate anything the city had to offer. We could never afford to go see all the great attractions (I've still never been to the Field Museum and I'm 34...lived in Chicago all but 8 years of my life). The only thing I miss is our grocery store that was 2 blocks away. Here it's a mile away which just takes forever to walk with a 5yo.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2011