Homeschooling.......Pros and Cons against Public Schools

This is for a school report that I'm doing and just wanted to get some feedback from some people that do homeschool or have homeschooled. What do you like about it and not like about it?

Kenzies_momma

Asked by Kenzies_momma at 2:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I currently homeschool and love it. I wish I had done it sooner. Theres nothing I dislike about it other then making my teenagers do their work lol. But my oldest was in reg hs and I had the same problem when she went to public school. You can cover alot more ground then they do in public school, you can go backwards and forwards so if my son doesnt get something in math we can move onto history then back to math. We can concentrate on things we want to. Choose to teach or exclude things we dont agree with, and control their social environment.

Answer by gemgem at 2:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• For the homeschooling side the benefits are, you are in control on how far you can delve into a subject with your child. You don't have to teach them stuff you don't think will be of any value to them, for example teaching evolution as a fact IMO.  You can focus on your child and not have interruptions by badly behaved kids or anything else going on in the classroom.  A lot of people argue that homeschooling takes a lot away from the child's social skills, but if your child is enrolled in extra curricular activities as well, there isn't a problem, they still interact with other kids.

Anonymous

• Exactly on the social skills. Plus there are many social skills they learn in public school I dont need them to have (cussing, fighting, backtalking, drugs etc). I prefer having them in activities I put them in. My kids do baseball, karate, youth group, sunday school and volunteer work.

Answer by gemgem at 2:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Pro's and con's against public schools:

Pro's--the kids are gone all day and you get time to clean your house (tha't all I can think of!)

Con's--public schools often don't accomodate your child, whether they need extra help or need to be challenged more; the teacher is often too busy to give much one-on-one attention; you have no say over the curriculum being taught; they focus too much on test scores and not enough on actual education; violence; drugs; (ohI can go on and on, but the kids are driving me nuts right now, lol)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Thanks for everyones help! If anyone has a funny story about homeschooling than I would love to hear it.

I'm actually doing a speech over this: Why homeschooling is better than public schooling. But, I need some good catching way to open the speech. I thought a short story would be funny. I might just make one up, but if yall have one than that would be great!
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 3:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Public Schools: They spend time with other children and become more sociable
    They grow up as a normal child

Homeschooling: They can learn more at home (more one on one)
    The may find it harder to make friends and become individuals.

etc.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 4:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I know of lots of public schooled kids that are not "normal" or "social", lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• : Mummytomore I invite you to my page to view my homeschooled kids. They are very socially adept--more so than any public-schooled kids I have ever met. They are not afraid to get on a stage and perform in front of hundreds or thousands of people. They can hold up their end of a conversation with any child or any adult of any age. If we had not homeschooled them, they would most likely have been too shy or lacked the self esteem and confidence it takes to be entertainers.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 8:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• They spend time with other children and become more sociable
    They grow up as a normal child

Not true. My homeschooled kids are far more social now than they were before. They have many, many normal friends. They had a B-day party at the lazer tag place this weekend. Big party and all the kids were homeschooled. Now when they were in school they had a few friends but most weren't good kids anyway.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Pros of homeschooling:

-the ability to ensure the quality of resources used in your child's education

-your child works at their own pace: no need to do pages of drills for a concept they already understand while waiting for others to catch up, and they never get moved past a concept they don't yet grasp.

-history can be taught chronologically and completely (world, rather than only national history) in three repeating four year blocks of increasing complexity (classical education model)

-flexibility for travel (a great learning experience) and family time

-family togetherness

CONT.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2008