Good idea or bad Idea???

June 1, 2011

Saying it is “unfair for Florida taxpayers to subsidize drug addiction,” Gov. Rick Scott on Tuesday signed legislation requiring adults applying for welfare assistance to undergo drug screening.

“It’s the right thing for taxpayers,” Scott said after signing the measure. “It’s the right thing for citizens of this state that need public assistance. We don’t want to waste tax dollars. And also, we want to give people an incentive to not use drugs.”

Under the law, which takes effect on July 1, the Florida Department of Children and Family Services will be required to conduct the drug tests on adults applying to the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. The aid recipients would be responsible for the cost of the screening, which they would recoup in their assistance if they qualify. Those who fail the required drug testing may designate another individual to receive the benefits on behalf of their children.

http://www.infowars.com/florida-governor-signs-welfare-drug-screen-measure/

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 1:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It seems to me that this will keep many from applying, I guess that's the point...

But as other posters said, if you can get drugs, then you must have some money... I wonder how long it will be before they have road blocks to test random citizens, in the same way just because they can? I am mixed on this, basically a person is presumed to be a drug user and must prove otherwise, to get food stamps. Imo, it's like the TSA deal, I don't like it and this will be one more slice of freedom we lose. I think they need to work more on the drug problems there, instead! JMO~~~
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 4:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I say it's about time and no one is saying all assistance seekers are druggies, but there are some out there. If someone is not on drugs, they have nothing to worry about and if they qualify, they will get their money baci=k in their assistance.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I dont know if that assumption is accurate, but it's a great idea & all the states should follow suit! If they cant pass a drug test to get free money, then how are they supposed to pass a drug test for a potential employer so they can get out of the system? As to the cost, I'm sure they can come up w/ $25 - or do community service to work it off.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I think it is a fair way to do things. As for your question of how are they to pay for it, it is answered right in the article you posted.

>The aid recipients would be responsible for the cost of the screening, which they would recoup in their assistance if they qualify. Those who fail the required drug testing may designate another individual to receive the benefits on behalf of their children.<

If they qualify, the money is returned. If they don't, their children are 'technically' not being denied ~ although I question how much of the aid would be wasted or squandered if those using drugs are allowed any say at all in how it is used. Still, it is a better option than just ignoring the problem, or allowing people to get state aid just because they are addicts and would rather pursue a high than a career.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I don't think its an assumption that all people on welfare are druggies. It's to prevent those who do drugs to being on the welfare system and taking advantage. If you can buy drugs, you can buy food and shelter for your family. I would like to see my tax money going to the people that need it, not to those who can't manage their money wisely, or have other priorities other than their children and well being. Especially in this economy, I think every state should do the same.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It is a great idea, but people know their way around pee tests. Sad but true.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• The aid recipients would be responsible for the cost of the screening, which they would recoup in their assistance if they qualify. Those who fail the required drug testing may designate another individual to receive the benefits on behalf of their children.

If they need assistance, do they have $25 to pay for required testing?  Other wise, the fact that their children don't suffer is good, but does the designated individual also have to pass required testing?  If not, why bother requiring it of the parents but not a separate designated individual?  On the whole it sounds cost prohibitive.  How much will it cost the state and how much do they expect it to save from fraud? 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:11 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Good idea. If you have money to buy drugs then you have money to pay your bill. Plus...how are they supposed to get a job if they do drugs? Almost all places drug test so what are certain people supposed to be on welfare forever? About time something like this happened!
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Also, is there periodic testing or do you just have to pass the one test?

Supporters of this legislation might not realize how easy is it to pass a pee test, especially if it's scheduled.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Everyone benefits from tax dollars in some way. Why don't they just test everybody?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2011