How well do you think you would survive without electricity?

Since hurricane season officially started today, I have finalized my preps last night with a check of all of our flashlights, radios, lanterns, extra batteries, located car chargers for cell phones, found the manual can openers, put aside extra charcoal.

It got me wondering, how well would I survive without electricity in a REAL emergency? We have a generator, so this stuff is just for the few hours a day we won't be running it, and to see to turn the genny on/off...

Frankly, as long as I have a book to read, I'm OK without the blue canary in the lightswitch. I love to camp, I don't go crazy in the heat, and I can drink my beer warm. It's the other cranky folks who drive me nuts...

dwmom2008

Asked by dwmom2008 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Yes I can and I have for more than 3 weeks after a hurricane, it is not comfortable but doable.

Answer by older at 1:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• im sure if i had too i would. there are somethings i can live without.guess u never really know till it happens good question i thought about that one yr when our power was out due to snow.good luck in the hurricane season! :)
    luckygirl2000

Answer by luckygirl2000 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• We had to do without electricity for about 4 days one winter because of the ice. I didn't like it one bit!!!! we had a wood buring stove at the time that we were able to use for heat and to cook on (very limited though...) and it was cold enough outside to keep our food cold. if we wouldnt have had our motorhome in storage that year, I would have been "roughing" it out there. LOL But I would not do good, i'm a whimp. Love to go camping, but then again i have my motorhome....
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• No way without air conditioner!!
    TLDaves

Answer by TLDaves at 1:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Nope- not me! I'm a big wimpy diva when it comes to the many things I use electricity for! No TV, no computer, no hair dryer or curling iron, no coffee maker, etc- eww I shudder just thinking about it! -lol If we ever have some terrible event that knocks it out, I'd be one of those crazy irritating people that drives other people who like to camp & ruff it crazy! GL w/ the hurricane season. :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I survived for over a week after a tornado, and actually enjoyed it.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• We live in a house with a well and no fire place. If our electricity is off we get no water and we freeze. We would not do very good w/o electric.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 1:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• i would be ok for few days but i wouldnt last long i like to stay connected to the world
    goobersmom713

Answer by goobersmom713 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Did it once - but I had a generator that ran a television and a small window air conditioner - which are two prerequisites for sanity around here. But I guess I could do it if I had a well, a bucket, a rope and wood burning fire place.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 4:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Not well, but we have a generator.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:10 PM on Jun. 2, 2011