Do you spend Christmas Morning at Home or with Family?

I have one three year old and a 3 month old. This is the first year that oldest understands Santa. We have always spent Christmas Eve at my mother in laws and either had Christmas Day at her house or our house. This year my parents have just asked to see us either on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. This is the first year that they have asked a month in advance and given they are trying to be more involved I feel that we should accomdate them. We have given my husbands mother first pick on what day she wants but have asked that we have Christmas morning for just us. My parents are married but my mother in law is divorced. She seems really upset and I don't want her to be alone on Christmas Day but I feel that my parents are entitled to see their grandchildren and we are entitled to our time as a family. Is this being unreasonable?

maddiemygirl

Asked by maddiemygirl at 2:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Holidays

• Yep youre being reasonable. You can always invite her to spend the morning with you and make breakfast. I have 5 kids and we do Christmas eve at church and with my dhs extended family. Christmas morning with just us at home. And then in the evening we go back to his mil's to open gifts. We also alternative years because my mom lives out of state. So every other year we go to her house and we open our gifts before we leave or bring them with us.

Answer by gemgem at 2:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Why can't you all get together - together? I'm widowed, and a couple years ago I had my DH's family all over along with my family. It was a lot of fun having everyone together, and seeing as how it would be just the 6 of you, it'd be a lot less hectic.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i see out-side family christmas eve..like friends..the lady who raised me.
    Christmas day...open presents here.
    my moms house.
    then my dh's grandmas house.

this yr i have to work which is fine with me. time & half. plus tips are great. the boys are still young so dont really understand it. tg.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Well, my ex's family has nothing to do with us, so we just have my parents to deal with. We spend Christmas morning at home, opening gifts, playing with them, watching Christmas specials, etc. Then, around noonish, we go to my parents house, where we open more gifts and then have a very nice Christmas dinner. By about 4, maybe 5 we are back home for the evening, playing and such again. When the ex and I were still together, it was done the same way, but we went to his parents house on Christmas Eve. I don't think you're being unreasonable, but maybe you could cut your morning a little short. I don't know what time you were thinking, but maybe around 10ish, you could go to her house. Just a thought.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• We always spend Christmas morning at home by ourselves, then go to my IL's in the afternoon. (I would prefer to just stay home all day, but that's just me!) This year my dad and my sister are coming up the day after so that there won't be any conflict with dh's family. (It would be a huge ordeal if said we weren't coming over)

Maybe you could spend Christmas eve with your family, then do your thing at home in the am, then go to your MIL's? Or if they get along, just invite both over to your house in the afternoon and have dinner and such. You're definately not being unreasonable! I hope you can work something out!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 2:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• we will be at home first in the morning and then go to my in laws for lunch with my hubbys side of the family and then dinner at my cousins with my side of the family. makes a busy day but at least everyone gets to see aidan(my son)
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• does dh have siblings for her to see on xmas.. honestly if she is aone, that is not your doing, it is her bag and you should not feel responsible. maybe you should just do an open house on xams and let everyone come over. we have always ran from my moms to my dads to dh;s moms to dh;s dads because they are all divorsed... but last year (my son is 3) ds didnt wanna leave each place... it was so hard, we are just staying home and they can come over for roast beef and stew if they want... it will be our first christmas at home ever!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:36 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Christmas eve: My parents for dinner and gifts then home to open Pajamas(we exchange P.J.'s only on C.E.)
    Christmas morning: breakfast with just my hubby and the kids followed by Santa and gifts to each other
    Christmas 11am ish: Off to pick up my niece and head to the in laws for li8nch and gifts
    Christmas 7 pm ish: head home for a quiet evening with my niece and the kids.
    Sounds crazy but it's not and every one gets there time including us.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• con't:
    It's the same every year so no one gets their feelings hurt. It's just 'how it is'. You could try to pick a plan and make it clear that that is how it will be from now on and then there will be no first pick, last min plans, hurt feelings or plan overlap in the future.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• In our family, all of the grandparents and great grandparents come around to the houses with small kids to watch them open their presents on Christmas morning. After that, we all go our separate ways...I usually go to my grandmas with my family and then to my SO's family later on in the day just because it works out that way for us...other family members have to alternate years with their spouses families and that is understood with no hard feelings. I would hope they would not make it stressful for you...everyone knows you get pulled a thousand directions over the holidays.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2008