Does the epi hurts?

Going for my second baby... My first child came naturally, no meeds needed.. I had a complication with retained placenta, so I want to know if in case I'll have it again. The epi pain would be worst??

Vian.aram

Asked by Vian.aram at 1:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Mine only hurt when I had a contraction while they were starting to put it in.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I thought you were talking about the epi pen.

My epidural wasn't painful.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Nope it just stings like a bee sting when the needle goes in and the medicine 1st starts. After that you can't feel anything.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Hah! I was in so much pain from the contractions that I didn't even feel the needle going in for my epidural. I held out as long as I could and I guess I waited too long. The only thing I really felt was something similar to an electric shock going down my leg when they were getting the epidural in place, that wasn't painful really just an uncomfortable sensation but it lasted a few seconds and that was all I felt. Aside from the sweet relief when it kicked in of course.
    I was terrified of the catheter and that was painless, too.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Just uncomfortable while they put it in. You feel a pinch, but not bad. You need to keep absolutely still, that was the hard part.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• The first time I got the epidural, I don't know what the doctor did, but it was insanely painful, more painful than the 36 hours of labor before it. Actually getting that epidural was the most painful thing I have ever been through in my life. I have no idea what the hell he did. I did get an epidural the second time around, but it was not painful at all.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Nope.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• No. They give you a shot of something to numb the area before the big poke. I will agree with MaryMW though...I have felt like a twinge or spasm in a nerve while they were inserting the needle or catheter during my epi though. Not painful...more like an involuntary flinch.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It hurts a little getting it. I had to be stuck 3 times before it worked, since my lower spine is curved & twisted. With my 1st, it had wore off & labor was horrible. I felt everything! So, this time I held out as long as I could to get it. It was well worth it b/c I didn't feel anything wile having my baby & since I had had placenta previa, I had complications delivering the after birth and the doctor could not get me to stop bleeding, so I am glad I could not feel everything she had to do to make it stop.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 2:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Be sure to avoid unnecessary interventions including "helping" the placenta out (manually or using induction meds).
    Why add unnecessary risks?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2011