Unemployed and under the gun - How to keep nerves in check?

I have been laid off. The area that I live has an unemployment rate of 10% (even across state line). Even though I have experience in web design, bookkeeping, web consulting, and event coordinating, I have not been able to find employment. I have been applying at fastfood restaurants, and still no luck.

I have networked. Many people know who I am. Seems to me, to know someone in the circle to find employment means to be blood relation. I get invited to visit their businesses and I keep reminding them that I'm "between jobs", but no one knows of any open positions anywhere! Uhgggg!!!

I have entertained a dangerous thought of moving in the middle of the night (as a leap of faith) to other cities with better economy, to live in a homeless shelter until I'm back onto my feet.

Asked this one before (two days ago) & only got one answer. I gave that one answer the best answer check. For someone who's been laid off and is constantly looking for work, I haven't gotten the responses that I wished I had.

Does anyone know of any support for those who are laid off (that are not in the "business" ) that are genuine? (there are a lot of frauds)

Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• Unfortunately there really isn't a lot of help out there.  I know my husband went through the same thing.

good luck I wish a lot of luck and I will pray that you find a job right away!praying

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• What has your local unemployment office say to do? Have you tried going into a temp agency to help you find work? Here we have workforce New York, Addecco and a few other places.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 1:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• id just keep checking with the different sources ur town has my dh went through a similar thing, do u have any retirement money saved?thats what helped us. best of luck to you.id be very careful as far as the move goes. cause what if the economy changes there? things are just so weird right now. i hope your able to find something and keep your home. :) hugs.oh u can always try deppartment of corrections there always hiring they just dont always have job fairs.
    luckygirl2000

Answer by luckygirl2000 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Your looking for answers, help, services for unemployment? I guess Im a bit confused by the end of your question..

"Does anyone know of any support for those who are laid off (that are not in the "business" ) that are genuine? (there are a lot of frauds)"

Are you looking for an online JOB, or a BUSINESS, or just where to turn to?

I was very literally BROKE last year in Oct of 09 when I found my current business with PrePaid Legal Services and it literally completely turned my life around, not just for the awesome business but the services offered.

Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• You need to put that stressful energy into action. The first step advice I got was to put into motion the unemployment process because it takes a while. Get your references together, and ask them before you use them, then using the internet Google the question and answers for the work you do. Make a list of actual skills you have, I have more ideas if you pm me. Now at least once week I get several offers. Bone up in your field and add more skills because companies do not want to bring new people up to speed, redo your resume which now days is mostly done on line. Good luck
    sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Have you considered your own business? sweet11 had some great ideas. If you would like details on my business, message me
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Have you considered turning your skills and experience into a startup business? My spouse and I were downsized from our corporate jobs, a couple of months apart, in 2006. He now has a handyman business, and does some non-profit accounting. I do freelance bookkeeping and business organization, small business marketing, a little medical billing; I also do career and job search coaching.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I do have my own business licensed by my local city and state. I'm a web programmer and designer. been so since 2004. In my business you never stop learning. If you wish to go the job route , Your job now is finding a job and you will discover that you will need to put in double the time. Tips. Make sure you rest and eat well or you feel worse. Take inventory to see what is high on the list to do. A hint post your skills on www.elance.com they have a free basic program to get you started

sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2011