How can i clean my couch?

we have a tan sectional that we got before our son, about 2 1/2 years ago, Well now that ethan has been here for 2 years our couch is NASTY! theres spills, drool & pee stains! Needless to say it doesnt look tan anymore! I need advice on how to clean it, without putting the covers in the washing machine im afraid i wont be able to get them back on!

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I would try a one of those wet carpet cleaners. The only thing is they're not cheap :/ but with the extension, they work really good on couches.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• You can rent the Rug Doctor at your local grocery store. If they require a large deposit, check out Home Depot's carpet cleaning machine. I can rent the machine and the upholstery attachment for $20. With that attachment, I was able to get the urine smell and stains out of both of my DSs' mattresses.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• You can rent a carpet cleaner with an upholstery attachment. We have done that. Do it at night though because you can't sit on it until it dries!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I totally forgot about the rental rug doctor! Whoops!
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 1:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Dh and I own a carpet cleaning business. We don't use a shampoo or steam method....those put way too much water in your carpets and furniture and with that heavy water it also pulls down dirt and stains. So the surface can look clean for awhile but overtime and as it dried that dirt and stains come right back. It's called wicking. We use a low moisture method that aggitates dirt from the bottom up as well as works on stains. The water can also damage fibers and cause mold or mildew growth!

For furniture, your best best is to get a carpet stain remover called Folex (www.folex.org), it's sold at Home Depot, Bed, Bath and Beyond and a few other places....and get a soft bristled handle brush. Lightly spray and let it sit for a few minutes that use the brush to lightly scrub the stains away.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Folex is also great, but I prefer Krud Kutter now. They're both about the same price, sold in the same locations. The cleaning method is roughly the same, except you'll also need to use a bucket of warm water and a rag to help 'rinse' the furniture clean.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2011