Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you get federal grants or federal student loans for a 2nd bachelors degree?

Answer Question

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 1:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 19 (6,704 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Yes, my sister is getting her masters now, but when she done with one BS and still trying to finish the second, she continued to get a pell grant that extra year. I thknk she said it was a little less, but that could have also been because she was working part time as well.

    Answer by hill_star03 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

  • I was able to get a Federal Student Loan for my second degree, but the financial aid office informed me that "free money" was only available to first degree seekers... Maybe it depends on your school?

    Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

  • as far as I know, yes

    Answer by elizabiza at 4:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

  • if you are going back to school why not go to grad school and get a master's degree?

    Answer by elizabiza at 4:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

  • @ elizabiza... my husband only needs about 6 classes to get a 2nd degree, which is way cheaper than 2 years of grad school

    Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

  • Yeah...according to the FAFSA I am eligible for Pell and loans...whether I get the Pell grant, I don't school usually doesn't send that information out until after Summer I is taking care of which is soon.

    Answer by OneToughMami at 1:46 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
La Bella Baskets?

Next question overall (Toddlers (1-2))
Shows I'm her mother