Can you get federal grants or federal student loans for a 2nd bachelors degree?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 1:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• Yes, my sister is getting her masters now, but when she done with one BS and still trying to finish the second, she continued to get a pell grant that extra year. I thknk she said it was a little less, but that could have also been because she was working part time as well.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I was able to get a Federal Student Loan for my second degree, but the financial aid office informed me that "free money" was only available to first degree seekers... Maybe it depends on your school?
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• as far as I know, yes
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• if you are going back to school why not go to grad school and get a master's degree?
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• @ elizabiza... my husband only needs about 6 classes to get a 2nd degree, which is way cheaper than 2 years of grad school
    Mel_in_PHX

Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Yeah...according to the FAFSA I am eligible for Pell and loans...whether I get the Pell grant, I don't know...my school usually doesn't send that information out until after Summer I is taking care of which is soon.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:46 AM on Jun. 2, 2011