What happens if your college gives you too much on your pell grant. It's their fault right?

So if they sent out the money, and you already spent it what happens?

Micki-Cook

Asked by Micki-Cook at 1:55 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• I believe you're probably going to end up owing them the difference.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It's federal money, they will want it back. You can fight it, but it could be more expensive than just paying it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Your going to have to pay them back. And no its not their fault. You shouldve done the math and kept up on it because that sort of thing happens ALL the time.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• You might have to pay it back. I'm not sure though.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• You pay it back.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 1:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• If they sent out the money and you already spent it you will have to set up a payment plan to pay it back or possibly take it against your next grant. Are you done with school?

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 2:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• You have to pay it back. i had the same thing happen but i didn't realize it. They will place your account on hold until its paid back so you won't be able to register next semester or request your transcripts.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 2:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It's a pell grant, you mean, you have money left over after they took out their tuition? You are supposed to pay your educational expenses with that money. Books, feed yourself, pay your rent.

Did they tell you that you got too much? If you are concerned, contact your school's financial aid office and ask about the policy for overpayments. Best to pay it back now, rather than later with interest and possible penalties...

It sounds like you don't understand what you got. Maybe you need to re-read your award letter, which would tell you the amount of your award.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• dwmom2008- My school called me this morning and said they may have sent out too much money. I just assumed when I got the check that I was awarded that much money because the check went to the school before it went to me. I just don't want to get in trouble because they muffed up. She said they would just take it out of my next pell, so everything should be fine rite?
    Micki-Cook

Comment by Micki-Cook (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It's been a few years since I was in school, so if what I am about to say is outdated, forgive me.
    When I got Pel, my EFC was 0. I got the maximum grant each term (around 2000). My books, tuition and fees came to roughly 800 a semester. I received a check every semester for about 1200. The first time I asked my financial advisor, she informed me 'that's your money. You will never have to return it. Use it to pay your living expenses so you can focus on school'.

Call Dept. of Ed and talk to them about it.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 2:09 PM on Jun. 1, 2011