Is it OK to give medication to a hyperactive dog?

Is it true that pets like humans are given medication for hyperactivity, depression, etc.
Do these medication work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Pets

• Dogs can take damned near anything we can take.
    Typically (depending on the age and size of the dog) .25mg of alprazolam is sufficient for ocassional use.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 2:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Thats a question for the vet really. Sometimes certain breeds need to have a very active lifestyle. Some breeds are hyper by nature....I did see at the pet store a collar that is supposed to have "calming" pheramones in it. You might want to try that
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:06 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Talk to your vet. they do have some sedatives out there for dogs.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Well, my vet wanted to put my cat on Prozac because she was licking all her fur off and she thought it was stress, turns out she was drinking toilet water from my husbands, obviously NOT clean enough toilet and that was doing it lol! but yeah, they can and do but have to be closely given by a vet with experience in dosing
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It is true and there are some things you can give to pets to help them out in situations like this....but you are going to have to talk to your vet. More than likely your dog doesn't suffer from hyperactivity, he is just a hyper dog...so nothing in the hyperactive meds realm would work.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I'd probably check with the vet first, but definitely give it something to calm down.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• There are drugs that can be given for behavior issues that are human drugs however this should be done under a vets care. If the dog is hyper active I would not depend on the drugs though I would increase the amount of excersise the dog gets and work on training as well.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• yes, the vet prescribed valium to keep our service dog calm on flights. its harmless and she only gets a little groggy
    Monica.J

Answer by Monica.J at 8:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• not sure what kind of dog you have...but usually, you can tell what type or personality your dog will be based on their breed. I have all full bread dogs and therefore knew what I was signing up for before I purchased them. I know that doesn't help with cross breeds adopted from shelters, but for those people who are looking at getting a dog, is useful to know their breed before. Sometimes a good long walk can help hyperactivity... Per Ceasar...lol Good luck :)
    momma-t42

Answer by momma-t42 at 9:51 AM on Jun. 9, 2011