• In the Spotlight:

anyone have a young child with asthma?

i have very severe asthma that is finally under control after surgeries and certain meds. i 26 and ive had asthma since i was about 1 and a half
now its looking like my one year old may have it too. he has to take nebulizer treatments all this week to see how it works out. im so paranoid hes going to end up with all the same problems i did
if anyone has had similar experiences what can i expect or even any advice is helpful

learae

Asked by learae at 2:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Kids' Health

• My 7 year old got RSV when she was 4 months old and it turned into asthma. The doctor's said she would more than likely grow out of it by the time she was 5 years old, she hasn't but her asthma is well controled and not as much of a problem any more.
    My advice is that if you haven't already, find your son a really good doctor, one that will take your sons health and your concerns seriously and just hang in there. It's hard and scary at first but you'll learn how to handle it. Good luck!
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Just remember that today's medicine is so much better than it was when we were kids going through asthma. I'm 27 and have had it (diagnosed) for 22 years. I remember all the struggling I had to go through with it. I wish I had the meds back then that I have now!!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My hubby had BAD asthma (I have know Idea how he made it out of childhood alive) and so far out only child, almost 19 months old, is still asthma free.

Like someone above said, the treatment for asthma is SO MUCH better than before. You child shouldn't have no where near the struggle that you had.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 1:39 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I like to help moms with asthma or their kids like my neighbor helped us. I also had asthma since I can remember. Now it has been 3 years and I have not had it. You can contact me at any time and I will tell you what I did.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 11:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My son as well as I have asthma. Sometimes kids will grow out of it. I suggest using other methods like a humidifier in the bedroom when they are sleeping. Doing treatments of steam in the bathroom for 20 minutes every other day. Try and keep your home smoke free and clean. Don't use harsh chemicals to clean. There are so many natural cleaning products today like METHOD, and SEVENTH GENERATION. I try to show my son how to control his asthma so he wont have to depend on the pump. I know your child is young but maybe some of these suggestions will help you.
    dimples367

Answer by dimples367 at 12:52 AM on Dec. 11, 2008