How old was your child the first time you spent a night away from him/her?

My son is 15 months and I haven't spent a night away from him once yet. But I have friends that drop their babies off at grandma's house for the whole weekend.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• He was 13 months old. We took a weekend trip. Connor stays the night with grandparents once/month right now. My hubby and have a datenight. You should all try it.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My oldest was 3, my middle son was 4 and my youngest was also 4. They went to their grandparent's house.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My 4th was around 6 months when he first spent the night at his grandparents house, but that's the youngest I've ever left them.

Answer by missanc at 2:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• He was 2 when I spent a night in the hospital for pancreatitis. 3 when I spent the night in the hospital to have my youngest son. And 3 when he slept over at my sister's house. He's going to be 9 later this month, and those three nights are the only ones.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My son was 4
    JanieJo

Answer by JanieJo at 2:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I think my dd was about 9 months the first time I left her overnight, and it was with my mom. Before that I was nursing and couldn't pump enough to leave her for too long, plus she was still waking in the night and I didn't feel it was right to ask someone to get up with her a few times during the night. She is two and a half now, I have left her once for two nights but otherwise it is only one night with a grandparent, and I would say that has not happened more than ten nights her entire life. I do think it is good for them to be with trusted family or sitters now and then though, once they are old enough to not need Mommy every second of the day.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• my daughter spent the night many times. the first time she was 2 and spent 2 nights at my mom's house because i was moving and had absolutely no where to put her. so my mom took care of her. and then she started spending a night here and a night there. when i had her sister, my husband and i went to istanbul for a week, my oldest was almost 3 and the second 8 months. i was used to my older daughter, but the second, oh it was soo hard on me. i could hardly focus on the trip!
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• 2 1/2. In fact, my first time away from her for 2 nights (but I got to see her for a few hours in between), was last week when I was in the hospital having baby #2.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 2:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My son didn't spend a night away from me until I had my daughter 11 months ago, he was 3 1/2. My daughter was 7 weeks when I spent a night away from her but I was in the hospital. They have never spent the night anywhere though, they are always watched at home.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• my oldest was almost 2, I didn't want my L&D to be the first time I was away from him, and my daughter was 6 months old. Both times they stayed w/my mother. I don't give it a second thought now (they are 5 and 3) they can go to Grandma's whenever she is ready for them
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 2:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2011