"Big Baby Fear"

Ok so i am 30 weeks n 1 day today and since i found out that i am having boy i have been so worried that he is going to come out big! lol This is my second baby the first one I had is a girl and she weighed 7lbs 2 oz. I think the only reason i am so worried is because my husband was almost ten pounds when he was born and my brother was almost nine pounds! lol I am measuring right on at the drs and i have only gained 18 pounds so far, anyone else fear they will have a big baby? lol

mommie_of02

Asked by mommie_of02 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I'm scared I will have a big baby! Lol my husband was 10lbs when he was born...AHH! I don't want a huge baby bc I don't want a c-section :(
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 6:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• No way. lol
    I feel well-informed which REALLY makes a big difference!
    ;-)

HOW we labor is what matters.
    Knowing that the size of baby isn't really relevant is important.

There are so many things you can do to have a big(ger) baby and a normal, safe natural birth with an intact perineum even.
    Depends on your preferences.
    What do you want out of your birth experience?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I'd say as long as you're measuring on target there's nothing to worry about. Really there's not much you could do about it anyway. I'd just be happy to have a healthy baby no matter what size.
    lizlikeno1

Answer by lizlikeno1 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My DD was 10lb 7oz, but fears realized, I had to have a c-section.
    My twins, born at 35 weeks were 7lb 12 oz, and 6 lb 14 oz.
    Size doesn't matter in the long run, just focus on eating healthy and having a healthy baby.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 3:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My daughter was 9 lbs 8 oz at birth. It was easy. Five pushes and she was out. Usually, your baby will be in correlation to your size and pelvic size. I hate that doctors have women so scared of having big babies. First off, MOST of her extra weight was in blubber...not her skull, which is of course, the part which is hard to push out. She did not hurt any more than my son, who was a full pound smaller, did. In fact, I barely tore and needed no stitches. I didn't even realize there was a tear until much later when I felt it and it was slightly different in that...er...region. It was really no issue at all...no getting stuck, taking forever to come out, etc... You will be fine!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• having a big baby isn't bad! my mother in law swears she had 13 pound babies and heavier. and they would pop right out. they were just chubby i guess. lol
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Both Midwife and I were afraid I'd have a big baby, so I stopped eating all sugars and grains from week 30 on. I stopped gaining tremendous amounts of weight each week, and baby was born at a very muscular 7.5 lbs.

High protein, fruit and veggies only worked for us!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My son was only 6lbs 11oz and my doctor told me my daughter was going to be a big girl. That freaked me out, I was thinking 9-10lbs but she was 7lbs 15oz.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I had gestational diabetes, so I had the same fear. My son was born 3-1/2 weeks early and was 6lbs 1oz - so full term would have been probably 9-10lbs. So I understand!
    Telephus44

Answer by Telephus44 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• There is nothing to fear. I don't think size really matters here as long as mom and baby are both in good health. My first was a 9 pounder and I had a much easier (and shorter) labor than my SIL whose baby was only 5 pounds and premature. The pain wasn't unbearable, labor wasn't scarier, and I was able to have a totally natural birth.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 4:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2011