How old was your child when you started pottytraining and how long did they continue to have accidents?

JanieJo

Asked by JanieJo at 2:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• He was three, I waited until he was ready and honestly he only had one accident. But I did take him the the bathroom pretty often, especially when we were out, to remind him to go.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I waited until all three of my girls were ready, all around 2 1/2 when they wanted to do it...and once they started wearing underwear we had many 1-2 accidents a week for about 2 weeks and then nothing. I'm hoping my son will be just as easy! lol
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• She was a little over 2 years old and I did the bootcamp method. She took about one day to get it and only had a few accidents. She was definitely ready for it though. I had tried a few times before and she resisted so we stopped and waited a few weeks before trying again. When they're ready it won't be a huge struggle, at least that's my experience. Keep in mind every child is different though.
    lizlikeno1

Answer by lizlikeno1 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Both of my sons were potty trained by the age of 3. Some moms swear that children can be potty trained by age 2.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 2:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• my daughter was 3 and she didn't have many accidents, but I waited until she was ready, she pretty much trained herself.
    my son was almost 4 and it was the same thing, I know I waited longer than most, but my doctor said they would just "get" it when they were ready and they did
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• DD1 was potty trained before she was 2. But we started introducing the potty when she was 12 months old or so. She was daytime trained by 18 months and night time before she turned 2.

DD2 we just started on a whim. She just turned 2 and will use the potty all day long as long as she's naked down below. Haven't quite figured out how to get her to remember to use the potty when she has undies or trainers on.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 3:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I have been waiting for my son to "get it" since he was four. He just turned five and still pees and poops in his pants
    JanieJo

Comment by JanieJo (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• my little girl is 20 months and has used the potty a couple times but, unfortunately it isn't something that happens at daycare so, i almost feel it's pointless to do it at home until it's being reinforced during the day...
    Sweetpea78c

Answer by Sweetpea78c at 3:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• DS was almost 3 when we started, and not done until 4 years. A pedi friend of ours said that her unofficial theory is that all kids have a built in "switch" and when that flips, that's when it happens. Obviously my son's was later than we would have liked. Once it happened though (ironically on his 4th birthday), he only had 3-4 accidents in the next 2 weeks and that was it.
    Telephus44

Answer by Telephus44 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Connor was three years old. He potty trained himself in 1 week completely.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2011