Ever been on a road trip? Or have you ever been on a train?

Where did you go?
How did you prepare for it?
How much did you spend?
Was it a good idea or not so much?

GomezMami2908

Asked by GomezMami2908 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Entertainment

• Road trip across SW USA. No preparation, just money for gas and food. 3 months. Probably not more than $1000, "cause I was a cheap college student at the time. GREAT IDEA, as I grew up along the way

Train trips extensively through Asia. CHEAP form of transportation, but not as exotic as you might think, especially if you get on the chicken trains! GREAT IDEA, as they're a wonderful glimpse into another culture...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 3:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• We went on a trip on a train when I was little. It was really cool, but it was a short trip (Greenville, SC to Atlanta, GA) or it would have gotten old, fast.

Answer by missanc at 3:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Drove from NY to TX-that sucked! Spent over a $1,000. Took a train from NY to Boston, spent about $600. Road trip from Upstate NY to NYC, spent about $700. They were all fun (except the 3 day drive to Texas).
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I took a train from Naples Italy to Munich Germany. That was interesting!!! At the time it cost about 75 euros round trip. We do road trips all the time.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Road trip and a train. I love the train, expensive to eat on, so bring your own food. Road trip was from South Florida to Tennessee.....packed goodies for the kid, took turns driving and got to see some very pretty country.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 4:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• When I was a kid, my parents took us on a "road trip" out to LA to visit relatives, then the next year we moved to California. Then When I got married, we were an Air Force family and we traveled and we were transfered every two years. When we were in Europe we took road trips a lot and drove our car....FUN! It was cheap then ---the exchange rate was great and we could go anywhere in just a few hours. We did a lot of camping and that is very inexpenisive. If you research, you can find ways to save money traveling anywhere.We took a trip on a train in Germany and a boat on the Mosel river---the only time we took a train.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Hubby's a trucker so YES, numerous road trips. I LOVE to go with him when I can. Always new views to see. Last trip was from Fernley, NV to home (sort of near) Houston. Trip before that was from home to Baltimore, Maryland. and before that home to Miami, FL...the last one was months ago and I'm ready to go again SOON. He's trying to get a load out to Oregon soon.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 6:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I've ridden the Coast Sarlight Amtrack many times, bay area to Salem or Seattle, and I took trains from Birmingham, England to Holyhead in Wales, from Holyhead to London, and from Dublin to Galway and back. I love riding trains. flying is fast but so oppressive and claustrophobic.

don't know the cost, I wasn't paying for the Ca coast trip, and the other was all on a BritRail pass, which I think was about 100.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• girls road trip from houston to new orleans. we were mad because the whole south eastern part of texas where we had to drive through was a dry county and all we wanted was some beer!! we finally made it to get some and then the party started. LOL we spent only about 200 on the whole trip which included gas, motel, beer, food, and some casino money for the two of us....
    kristianmommy

Answer by kristianmommy at 6:05 AM on Jun. 5, 2011