How do I get my 1 year old daughter away from the bottle?

I am trying to get my 1 year old daughter off the bottle, but for last couple months, she needs a bottle in order to fall asleep and been waking up in the middle of the night for a bottle. Some reason she needs that sucking and she won't take a pacifier. I am pregnant with my second child and due anytime and I really don't want two kids on a bottle. Any ideas on how to get my daughter to sleep without a bottle in her crib and how to get her away from the bottle.

soon2bmom2010

Asked by soon2bmom2010 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have you tried switching her to a sippy cup with a soft spout. They aren't too different from a bottle.

Answer by missanc at 3:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• the sippi cup with a soft spout worked for my son at 10 months they do not feel the difference
    roxy0522

Answer by roxy0522 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• yes i tried that and she chews on it and it leaks everywhere
    soon2bmom2010

Comment by soon2bmom2010 (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• they have the sippy cups with the softer spout that have restrictors on them that dont leak (that much). just make sure that there is water in that bottle/sippy cup.

or you can just let her cry it out ....
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• i'm curious... why do you want to get her off of something she enjoys? there's nothing wrong with her physiologically having this bottle and as long as she only has water in the bottle to sleep with, there's nothing wrong with her having a bottle at night either...

i never allowed my little girl to fall asleep with a bottle of milk (unless she was sick and i warmed it) however; she did fall asleep with a bottle of water until she was about 16 months old... and from there, she gave it up on its own. i'm a firm believer in not taking their comforts away (unless, of course, it's bad for them). children will eventually grow up on their own... we don't need to push them! :)
    Sweetpea78c

Answer by Sweetpea78c at 3:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• At 9 months old my son was taking 3 bottles during the day and a 4oz bottle before bed, so I started giving him 3oz for 2 weeks, then 2oz, then 1oz and then took it away cold turkey after that. By 10-12 months, they don't actually NEED to eat before bed if they have a good dinner at least 2 hours before. I also used to do bath, lotion/massage, jammies, story, bottle...but while putting less and less in the bottle I also started moving it up in the bedtime routine as well...so by the time it was at the beginning of the bedtime routine he was only getting 1oz and it was only about an hour after his dinner bottle, so he didn't even make a fuss when it disappeared completely.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• We just switched bottles for soft spouted sippy cups, made by Nuby, and he never had a problem. Some children, however, especially older ones, have formed an emotional attachment to their bottle, which makes weaning more difficult.

Here are some helpful hints...

1-Try the soft spouted cups. Nuby makes their spouts in regular sippy cup shape and also in a rounded sport's sipper. They are both spill proof and the feel in the child's mouth is more similar to a bottle, making the transition gentler.

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:30 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• 2-Remember that your child only needs about 16 ounces of cow's milk, formula, or breastmilk, after the age of 1 year. He/She may be drinking too much milk altogether. Also, milk is used mainly as a source of calcium and other nutrients, by making sure that your child gets 3 servings of dairy each day, and other adequate supplies of all nutrients, you may be able to eliminate milk from their diet altogether, making this issue rather obsolete. Wal-Mart makes one of the ONLY complete children's multi-vitamins. Most multi-vitamins for children do NOT contain Iron or Calcium, but Wal-Mart's Equate brand does. Make sure you check the label, they make a few varieties and only one has Iron and Calcium. These are chewable, and if your child doesn't want to eat them, they can be crushed and placed in pudding, applesauce, yogurt, or dissolved in juice, milk, or other liquids. Toddlers under the age of 2 only need half a vitamin each day.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:31 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• 3-If it's just milk he demands to have in the bottle, make it less appealing. Put 6 ounces of milk and 2 of water in the bottles for a few days, then switch to 4 ounces of milk and 4 of water, then 2 ounces of milk and 6 of water, and finally, after a week or so, just give plain water in the bottle. By doing this, you are making the bottle less appealing. The alternative, but similar, method, is to simply refuse to put anything but water in the bottles.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:32 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• The main thing is to be firm AND kind. Make it clear that you understand that he/she doesn't want to drink milk from a cup, but it's time to give up the bottles.

The other important thing to remember is that your child does NOT have to have milk to be healthy, he just needs 3 servings of dairy each day. These servings can be achieved through yogurt, cheese, pudding, etc. Anything that is made with milk. Also, a serving for a child is only about 1/4 an adult serving Offer a sippy cup of milk and a bottle of plain water. Let your child choose which to drink. Even if he/she chooses the water, it's still healthy! Again, make sure your child is getting the necessary nutrients from other sources, just in case he/she decides to forgo milk entirely for a while.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 3, 2011