Man drowns while rescuers watch.........

http://firegeezer.com/2011/05/31/fire-and-police-stand-by-and-watch-man-drown/

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/newslocal/Resuers-Stay-Dry-as-Man-Drowns-122944013.html

There’s a growing controversy this week after a man drowned in San Francisco Bay while police and firefighters watch from the shore. Crews reportedly could not rescue the suicidal man because of a policy tied to budget cuts.

This happened in Alameda, which is across the bay from San Francisco.

A 911 call was made reporting the man had waded into the bay.

He reportedly stood in the 54-degree water for nearly an hour walking further and further out in front of a crowd of 75 people, including the firefighters and police officers.

He eventually drowned and police and firefighters said they wanted to save the man.

However, a policy strictly forbids them from carrying out water rescues. They said it's a funding issue and that they don't have the equipment or the training.

The coast guard was also called into help, but they said they couldn't because the water was too shallow to get a boat close enough to the man

A civilian ended up pulling him out of the water

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The firefighters and police are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they cross the line they lose their job. If they do not cross the line the live with regret the rest of their lives. Blame the officials not the civil servants. I know this will nto be the popular opinion.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Shame on the police, firemen, and coast guard who stood by and did nothing! I hope they see his face every night in their sleep--and the faces of his family!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 3:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Red tape at it's finest. Pretty sad.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• coulda took off their uniforms and done their job anyway...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• That is horrible. I understand them making that rule but really? Who can just stand there and watch someone die. I'd have to try even if it cost me a job.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• confused

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 3:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• The irony is that in some states civil servants can be also be arrested for not helping. They are trained and expected to stop at accidents and such. Red tape causes big issues.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Not a shocker it happened in San Francisco. The fireman and police knew they would be fired if they helped him and now they will be sued by his family for not saving him from himself. Damned if they do and if they don't. The guy committed suicide so no one is responsible for his death but him. I feel for his family but I hope they don't go after people who were only don't what their city told them to do.
    Anonymous

• My question is when people try to commit suicide the police have no training, but yet when there are people trapped in the flow of water in a wash basin they have training and even get the helicopters out!
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 7:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Should say "will not be"
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 1, 2011