OMG I just heard the stupidest thing...

my boss and I were dicussing sick pay policies and this actually came out of his mouth, "People who sit in a climate controlled office are less likely to get sick than someone who works out in the warehouse that is going out into the elements" (ie rain,wind etc....) I told him that office people are human also, and that even though we are in an office for 8 hours a day, we still have to go out to the real world....

what do you think?

nybor48

Asked by nybor48 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Health

• Yep- he's an idiot alright! Hasnt he seen the studies that show eating at your desk is like eating in the restroom?! Eww! UpSheRises was right- the weatherly elements dont make you sick, the viruses & bacteria do. And having a strict policy on sick days will make it worse. People will drag themselves in when they should be home- not sharing their germs! Good luck w/ this guy!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I got more sick working in an office than in my whole entire life. Please I do not miss the sore throats and coughs due to the recycled office air and germy doors and desks and people coughing and hacking up a storm.
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• In an office you are breathing recycled air. Your boss is wrong.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Wind and rain don't make you sick...germs do.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Your boss is an idiot.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I think it really depends on the where you're at. My husband used to work for the railroad and would walk the trains at night in the middle of the winter in Illinois. He constantly got sick with bronchitis, pneumonia, etc. The cold damp did a number on his lungs so he couldn't fight anything off. Now we live in Southern Nevada where it's warm and dry. He still works outside but never gets sick. Then you have the sick, recycled air of an office environment. It could be more polluted than air outside.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I think he is like most bosses out there. I had a boss that once said if we go to the bathroom that counts as our break. We got 2 fifteen minute breaks in an 8 hr period whenever we got the chance. But she is allowed to have smoke breaks, bathroom breaks, and an hr. lunch bc she worked from 8-5. Plus she traveled and if she got out of her car to smoke or get a drink in the store she is allowed to be on the clock. What is that about?
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 3:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Yes, we office people are immune to the germs and bacteria floating around an enclosed area before being recycled through (most likely in inept one) the a/c and making the rounds again.........cough,cough,cough
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 3:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I'd think that office workers would be MORE likely to get sick, since people are in such close quarters.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I worked in a bond security vault office NY. I had bronchitis, ashtma and even had a severe case of hives. As soon as I left, I never had any of this happen to me ever. It has been 16 years now.So many other people got really sick. On my last day one of the old security guards told me that the recycled vault air was the reason why so many people were getting so sick. I will never forget his word to me...
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2011