Lactose Free/Dairy / Soy...

So we realized my son was lactose intolerant at a year old - he can't handle Milk or cheese or dairy like yogurt.. we started off trying soy which seemed to be fine for him but then a year later he started getting the eczema again and terrible gas/ tummy pains so we took him off so - So I was told by the Dr to try Lactose free because its probably that which he is allergic to, well he seems fine with lactose free ice cream but not the milk - So I tried the Almond milk which is Soy free and lactose free - he once again, broke out like crazy again.. I plan to make an Appt with a Dr/ nurse / Dietician but wondering what it could be then he's allergic to here - and if he does ok on lactose free ice cream but not milk? how does that make sense?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Have you actually tries lactose free milk? What about trying rice milk?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Yes, he was on lactose free milk and had terrible Gas and tummy aches, then We tried the Rice milk and the same thing happened.. that's why when I saw the almond being soy and lactose free I thought it would be perfect, and he didn't end up with gas and tummy aches but the horrible rash/eczema he got was nuts.. and then when I stopped it, it went away totally within a week.. I have been trying since he was 1 to get him allergy tested but 5 Dr's told me they won't since its not severe reactions and they aren't accurate anyway so we could be taking things out of his diet that he could need so in turn he could turn out to have an intolerance to them etc.. I am just at a loss with this poor chilld ( 3-1/2 ) we are currently taking Dyes and high fructose out of his diet so this is just making things a little stickier.
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• A lactose intolearance is a allergy to the sugars in milk and dairy. Your son may have a Cassien (sp?) allergy/intolerance. That's an allergy to the proteins in dairy.

http://www.drpaul.com/illnesses/milkallergy.html

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:09 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• your poor baby. I hope they figure out something for him. Maybe try organic? My dad is lactose and tolerant and so Im I but my dad can drink organic milk. I can only drink soy without having reactions.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Rice Dream makes a rice milk that is dairy and soy free, there are several rice milks that have soy. That is what I have my dd on because she is allergic to milk, soy and nuts. One of her key symptoms was also eczema. If your child has food allergies or sensitivites it's highly probable he can't have nuts which may explain the reaction to the almond milk. There is also hemp milk. It's a shame they won't do an allergy test, my dd had a simple blood test at 1 year old but she had a severe reaction to eggs, which she is also allergic to. There is lactose intolerance, which means your body can't digest the sugar in milk, but there is also a milk protein allergy where the person is allergic to casein and/or whey which are the two proteins in milk. I would really push for that blood test, otherwise, keep a log and watch for symptoms every time you introduce new foods. Good luck, I know it is so frustrating.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Also, I believe the most common allergens are dairy, egg, nuts (tree and other), wheat, soy and shellfish. I might have left something out, but keep a close eye for reactions to these foods as kids who are prone to allergies often react to more than one thing on the list.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Thank you all so much, I am going to find yet ANOTHER Dr and just not leave until they do it - humor me at least - I have zero luck with Good Dr's but am lucky to have decent insurance so I am just going to go to allergist instead maybe.. Well I did have a test done on him when he was 2 for celiac's which is a gluten allergy and that was fine, he just doesn't seem consistent which is why they don't consider this severe enough to test him which makes me very upset.. but he also has seasonal allergies, antibiotic allergies ( which is terrible to deal with ) and everything seems to take at least 2 months to get out of his system and then a virus happens or seasonal changes happen and he's stuffy, red, itchy again so its does make it hard to chart because i Have tried that 3 seperate times. My mom has the egg and nut allergy and he really seems fine from whole forms of those foods. like he loves almonds and will eat them at the
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• handful and I always still watch for reactions.. he loves scrambled eggs and can eat my turkey meatballs with the egg in it and seems fine.. thanks for the sites, I really appreciate the extra information, I seem to not be google literate and always end up in area's I don't want to be and find none of the information I am searching for lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• can he tolerate goat's milk? What about coconut milk?
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2011