How do you ween your 17 month old off the bottle?

My 17 month old still uses a bottle and I am wondering how you would ween him off his bottle?

JessMomToDLA

Asked by JessMomToDLA at 3:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Try sippy cups. Start with one a day and gradually start changing the bottles out for sippy cups. That worked for my son when he was 11 months.

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 3:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I agree just don't have them around the bottles, and your son will look for something else to drink, and it is good to have sippy cups, or just have a plastic pop bottle around with something in it, or you could sit a sport bottle around that has his name on it, and he could drink out of that.
    silkion

Answer by silkion at 4:00 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I went cold turkey with my kids! I took the bottle away completely and they started using their sippy cups without much of a fight.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• he doesn't need it anymoe
    JessMomToDLA

Comment by JessMomToDLA (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My son had a hard time with the spout cups and never figured out how to tip the bottle up either, so we tried the ones with straws and he was so excited to not have to sit still. He was 14 months and after giving him the straw ones it was a matter of a few days before he would cry and fuss if I tried to feed him a bottle and not give him a sippy cup. He wanted to be able to run around and have his freedom while taking a break to drink and then run around like a monkey again :)
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• why do you want to ween him off the bottle?
    Sweetpea78c

Answer by Sweetpea78c at 3:49 PM on Jun. 1, 2011